Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Judge refusing to postpone ESA appeal or arrange domiciliary hearing

AmosP
forum member

Financial wellbeing team leader - Family Mosaic, London

Send message

Total Posts: 32

Hi,

Perhaps someone can suggest what next for my client and the appeal.

Client is appealing decision to place her in WRAG, believes she should be in Support Group. She has not been out of her home for over a year due to physical and mental health conditions. We got postponement of an office hearing in early January 2014 on grounds that client requires a domiciliary hearing. Letter from GP was provided as proof. Heard nothing for months. Another hearing was held in client’s absence and stated they could not decide on papers so would need to look into arranging domiciliary hearing. GP was asked to provide letter - GP got patients details wrong (mixed up with another patient) and said that client could attend hearing if appropriate transport was provided. Judge wrote decision notice that based on GP’s evidence that client could attend hearing if appropriate transport were provided and sent date for new hearing on 05.11.14. Client and GP realised mistake was made. GP wrote a new letter to TAS asking for her previous report to be ignored, said that got clients mixed up and that my client cannot attend tribunal and asked for domiciliary hearing. Tribunal not postponed. I wrote letter requesting postponement and domiciary hearing and quoted GPs letter. Got reply from TAS - request for postponement refused, hearing will go ahead. My client cannot physically attend the hearing and wants to be able to put her case and be present at her appeal. Is there anything else i can do to try and get the hearing postponed and for my request for a domiciliary hearing to be accepted or would this need to be challenged at the Upper Tribunal if i cannot get the hearing postponed. Are TAS breaching the Equalities Act in refusing to make reasonable adjustments so that she can attend the hearing?

I realise there is a lot of detail missed out but i think i have included most of the main points. Thanks for your consideration.

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

It sounds like something of a shambles. Ultimately, it looks like if an unfavourable decision is made, you have a good chance of having it set aside.

I’d get the matter urgently put before the District Judge stating the events to date and enclosing all evidence, if not already done. If you have, nothing occurs to me beyond attending the hearing in the absence of the appellant and giving all of this to the judge on the day, asking for an adjournment.

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

Its something of a gamble but if nothing else works you could go to the hearing on the day, explain what had happened and ask the tribunal to adjourn pending arrangements for a DH.

Other than that you could cite;

The overriding objective of a tribunal to be fair and just (Rule 2 - Tribunal Rules)

That every party to the proceedings has the right to attend the hearing (Rule 28)

That a decision can be set aside if a party or a party’s rep was not present at the hearing (Rule 37 (1) (c))

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1125

What has already been suggested - in fact, what I am going to suggest absolutely requires that you make another concerted effort to request a direction for the oral hearing to be postponed and a domiciliary arranged in its place (bear in mind that there is nothing in the FtT rules to prevent you making repeated applications prior to the hearing taking place).

But if that fails…..

I’d have thought it very likely that the second, corrected GP’s letter might provide pretty compelling grounds for a finding that reg. 35 applies to your client (this is assuming that there’s some sort of explanation offered by the GP as to why she’s unable to leave her home, rather than just a bald statement that she cannot). If she is unable to leave her home, I’d have thought that compelling her to do so (which is what work related activity would inevitably entail) would very likely result in a substantial risk to her health.

You could attend the hearing yourself and make that argument - but with the fall back position that if the tribunal is not prepared to allow the appeal on that basis without hearing your client’s oral evidence, that it adjourn for a domiciliary hearing to allow her to give that evidence. There is usually a considerable element of risk in attending a hearing as rep in the appellant’s absence and asking the tribunal to either allow the appeal on the basis of the documentary evidence or to adjourn for further medical evidence/or for further opportunity for the appellant to attend - but in this case (and so long as you do make another attempt at oobtaining a postponement) I can’t see this being a problem.

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

Note that regarding being unable to leave one’s home is note always taken as being sufficient evidence of inability to undertake WRA. I have heard a tribunal doctor ask “can you use a phone?” in connection with the application of reg 35.

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1125

I did try to indicate that I wasn’t suggesting it was inevitable, only that (depending on the strength of the GP’s letter) it may be worth a punt.

An ability to make aphone call might mean that a claimant could take part in a telephone WFI - but this is very different from work-related activity. Following the decision in CE/3453/2013 this is something that both the DWP and FtTs are going to have to be conscious of. And given that decision also confirms that in circumstances where reg. 35 is in issue, the DWP and then the FtT is going to have to identify actual work-related activity available to the claimant in the area that they live and in which they could engage without any substantial risk to their own or someone else’s health, I would imagine that in very many cases where you have already managed to convince a tribunal that the appellant’s condition(s) do objectively prevent them leaving their home, that getting them to make the further finding that reg. 35 applies may be pushing at an open door…..

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

You might want a shuftie at CIB 2688 2012 which dealt with similar circumstances.

Whether the EQA is engaged is an interesting question as Judicial functions are exempt and the decision whether to direct a domiciliary is for a Judge.

AmosP
forum member

Send message

Thanks for all your considered replies.

My client had been having WFIs over the phone for over a year but then the adviser at JC+ said she would need to attend the jobcentre as they could not continue to do the WFIs over the phone indefinitely. I had to get medical evidence then and threaten them with a claim under the Equalities Act to get them to back down but what they did was send round a home visiting officer to do an assessment and since then the phone WFIs have continued. I have attached a copy of the letter from the GP which she sent to the tribunal. I thought it was clear enough.

File Attachments

Sanatkumar Dave
forum member

Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council's Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 23

On the issue of arranging domiciliary hearing, try the following Commissioners decisions:
CIB 2751 2002 and CS 3202 2002

AmosP
forum member

Send message

Thanks for all your advice.

Just to let you know. The appeal went ahead last week and neither i nor the client attended but the tribunal accepted the appeal and placed my client in the support group. We are mightily relieved but i think our arguments were strong enough to be successful despite the client being unable to attend the hearing.