Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Complicated benefit calc Im not sure how to do!

clarebear
forum member

East Sussex Welfare Reform Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1

Hello there, I was asked to do a what if calc for a couple of clients (one working) who have a dependant son (17) on middle rate DLA care and low rate mobility. Currently they receive:
Carers allowance for looking after him with the carers premium in their HB and CTR
HB and CTR with a disabled child element
CTC with a disabled child element.

My question is what would happen if he were to be placed in full time residential care (a special boarding school) for his disabilities funded by the local authority??

I was under the impression that his parents could continue to receive CTC and CB for him if they still support him in some way and the residential care is in connection with his disabilities. Trouble is Im not sure about the rest of it-Would his DLA care end as it would be classed as a care home? Would the CA and associated disability premiums end in the tax credits, HB and CTR?

Any thoughts would be muchly appreciated-this ones making my hair bleed I think I get it but Im so worried about one variable being off and throwing the whole calculation!

thanks
clare

Jane OP
forum member

The National Autistic Society, Welfare Rights, Nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 161

Hi,

You’ll need to know whether the child will be classed as ‘looked after’ that can affect HB, CB & CTC

Yes resi care rules apply to the DLA, so care is suspended and so the CA ends, mob can be paid.

Jane