× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Wedding day blues (a response to the cuts in general and the legal aid cuts in particular)

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

Buckingham Palace today announced the engagement of Prince William (aka The Hohenzollern Kid) and Kate (the fragrant) Middleton.  Details of the forthcoming nuptials were also posted on Mytwitterspacefacebook, the social networking site for the socially inept and the emotionally challenged.

A spokeswoman for the campaigning group Mothers Opposed to Poverty and Squalor (MOPS), cooed “this is a chance for the children of the poor and dispossessed to put down their shanks, come out of their hoods, forget their hunger and disappointment, pick up their little union jacks (for which there will be a small charge) and show their patriotic loyalty to the rich and well fed”.

Sir Peregrine Quarefellow of Thebes, WC and bar, the Chairman of Disability Now said “may I, on behalf of the disabled everywhere, implore all disabled people to load up on analgesics, get on your little motor scooters while you still have them and take to the streets of Britain to show your support for the happy couple.  It would also be jolly decent of you if you could also donate one month’s disability benefit to the wedding fund”.

The coalition government (aka The Eton Rifles) was also quick to respond with a spokesman for the Prime Minister commenting “this is marvellous news”.  He went on, “this is the opportunity, erm, I mean occasion that the government has been looking for, erm, I mean looking forward too.  It is a chance for the entire nation to come together in a big society tent of cuts and squander; I mean spend, millions of pounds of public money.  We are asking everyone to contribute, no matter how little the amount.  The country really needs money badly after we gave all yours to the banks”. 

Donations can be made at any jobcentre or online at Wereallinittogether.screwyou.com.

roecab
forum member

Welfare benefits supervisor - Roehampton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 465

That has raised a smile, which I didn’t think possible today. Thanks.

suelees
forum member

Social Welfare dept, Stephensons Solicitors, Leigh

Send message

Total Posts: 84

Nice one Paul.

We should all be reminded of the mighty importance of this great union (and of course how it will sell more copies of the Daily Express if the Diana saga has been anything to go by).

I’m truly excited waiting to see if we’ll get the day off. I can then dress up and put the telly in a specially erected marquee in our back yard so I can invite all the neighbours for this auspicious occasion