Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

managing therapy descriptor - at home or not?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

hi, wondered if anyone has any appeal/tribunal experience of this?

The SS (PIP) Regs 2013 at Schedule 1, pt 1 (interpretation):
“manage medication or therapy” means take medication or undertake therapy, where a failure to do so is likely to result in a deterioration in C’s health.

The PIP assessment guide for providers carrying out assessments (2013 version is relevant to my case) says on P.95:

This activity considers a claimant ability to:
...(iii) manage therapeutic activities that are carried out in a domestic setting and prescribed or recommended by a registered doctor, nurse, pharmacist or HCP regulated by the Health Professions Council

My client undertook physiotherapy and remedial massage therapy, recommended by a consultant and done by trained/registered professionals BUT not in a domestic setting (i.e. it was in the masseur/physiotherapist’s workplace).

Now regs should trump guidance but my question is are there any other regs or relevant info that I have missed that would count against my client here?

The 2 points she should score for this activity should be enough to get her over the line to SRDLC. Has anyone dealt with this issue before?

Welfare Rights Adviser
forum member

Social inclusion unit - Swansea Council

Send message

Total Posts: 163

unfortunately the interpretation of what therapy means is defined in the regs:
“therapy” means therapy to be undertaken at home which is prescribed or recommended by
a—
(a) registered –
(i) doctor;
(ii) nurse; or
(iii) pharmacist; or
(b) health professional regulated by the Health Professions Council;

was your client given any exercises etc to do at home and did they need help to do this at home

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Yes, I see now, thanks.