Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

HB and unpaid leave

JoW
forum member

Financial inclusion manager - Wythenshawe Community Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 343

Hello

A tenant works and is paid monthly. Their income is generally too high for any HB entitlement. However they have recently taken 2 weeks unpaid leave to deal with a family bereavement. Their monthly pay is therefore significantly lower than normal.

Can they claim HB just for the 2 weeks based on nil income (as no pay received for these specific weeks) or will the lower monthly pay be dived into a weekly amount? If it was the latter there would be nil HB entitlement as even lower monthly pay is much higher than applicable amount.

I think it should be the former but have never come across this situation before.

Thanks in advance.

ps. I have discussed issue of whether they could/should get compassionate or sick leave and pay

chacha
forum member

Benefits dept - Hertsmere Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 472

Jo Woodcock - 15 August 2014 01:13 PM

Can they claim HB just for the 2 weeks based on nil income (as no pay received for these specific weeks) or will the lower monthly pay be dived into a weekly amount? If it was the latter there would be nil HB entitlement as even lower monthly pay is much higher than applicable amount.

Yes, they can make a claim, I suggest you make the claim as soon as you can, but as he is paid monthly the amount paid will be aggregated in the same way. So, whatever he gets paid that month will be used to determine entitlement so it won’t be a case of claiming HB on nil income for those 2 weeks.