to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

dhp appeal to the ftt

SocSec
forum member

welfare benefits/citizens advice//ashfield

Send message

Total Posts: 277

i came across this ftt decision below   re a dhp claim, I thought that dhp decision could not be appealed to the ftt !!!

We’ve received an interesting First Tier Tribunal (so not binding) appeal decision from Wakefield, thanks to Kirklees Law Centre. A copy of the statement of reasons is here (not anonymised as the appellants consented to it being used largely unredacted).
Mr G was the tenant, occupying a two bedroom property with his wife, Mrs G. Mrs G has severe disabilities following a fracture to her back and the couple had been moved to the property, a bungalow, to which substantial adaptations had been carried out by the local authority landlord. Asa result of Mrs G’s disabilities, Mr G was not able to share the bedroom and there was no space for an additional bed. So Mr G slept in the second bedroom. Mrs G receives higher rate mobility and highest rate care DLA.
The Council as benefit authority had applied a 14% reduction in HB for the property. Mr G had been granted DHP back dated to April 2013, but, as a condition of DHP, Mr & Mrs G had to search for a one bedroom property (despite, as they pointed out to the FTT, the fact that this would inevitably have to be of a larger floor space than the current property, and would need adaptations). Further, the DHP was expressed to be time limited and of short duration.
The FTT found that the conditions on the DHP and the expressed short term nature of it meant that “I cannot see how the discretionary housing payment policy of Kirklees Council “plugs the gap” in relation to their claim for housing benefit and the effect of regulation B13?.
While R (Rutherford) v SSWP [our report here] had found that payment of DHP was enough to amount to justification in that specific case, the time limited and short duration of DHPs in Mr G’s case “must cause unnecessary distress to Mr and Mrs G in a way that was not the case in Rutherford. In that case there was more confirmation that the payments would continue and there was no requirement to look for alternative ‘cheaper’ accommodation”.
So, the FTT found Reg B13 should not apply.
Comment
While the statement of reasons doesn’t actually give the Tribunal’s reasons for disapplying Reg B13, I presume it was on the basis of Art 14 discrimination, via Art 1 Protocol 1.
Although I am not sure it is fair to say that the Rutherfords were not caused distress through their dealing with the benefit authority in seeking DHP, and also that the guarantee of future payment was pretty much wrung out of the Council by the High Court, I think it is the case that there weren’t other conditions such as the tenant attempting to ‘downsize’ (actually upsize in space terms) attached to the DHP payment. The conditions imposed in the G’s case were clearly intended to push them to move, under threat of the end of DHP support.
I said in response to Rutherford that the case had effectively made payment of DHP in each disability based case a requirement for the DWP to avoid unlawful disability discrimination. The approach of the FTT here is along the same lines, and further – even though DHP was in payment, it was not a mitigation of the discriminatory effects of the bedroom tax because it was both ridiculously conditional and expressed to be short term.
Though it would have been helpful if the FTT had more clearly (or indeed at all) set out its reasons for finding the bedroom tax did not apply, the given reasons on DHP are, I would say, a logical consequence of Rutherford, and well worth noting for similar appeals. Well argued by Kirklees Law Centre.

[ Edited: 14 Aug 2014 at 02:45 pm by SocSec ]
HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2915

The appeal was against the HB decision.  The Tribunal has found that the claiant should be entitled to regular HB on the full rent, by way of a s6 HRA “reading in” remedy”.  The relevance of DHP was that the Tribunal found the uncertain and conditional nature of this claimant’s DHP to be insufficient justification for the way Rg B13 breached his human rights.

This is the consequence of the Rutherford JR decision -  Tribunals will not only consider whether the general availability of DHPs to some disabled people is justification for the bedroom tax as a whole (the Courts have pretty emphatically said it is); they will also consider whether the facts of a particular case are so compelling that only a guaranteed DHP award to this claimant will be sufficient justifcation in his/her case

SocSec
forum member

welfare benefits/citizens advice//ashfield

Send message

Total Posts: 277

many thanks s hb anorak, i still get confused about the significnce of dhp to these cases. !!

[ Edited: 14 Aug 2014 at 02:45 pm by SocSec ]