to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Double payment of rent to landlord

Surrey Adviser
forum member

Benefits and debt adviser - Esher CAB, Surrey

Send message

Total Posts: 222

Cl. has social landlord & is on full HB, which is paid direct to landlord.  LA made error & informed her she was liable to pay part of rent herself.  She paid that part to landlord.  LA then realised their error and paid the same amount to landlord as HB.

Cl. asked landlord to return the duplicate payment (i.e. the money she had paid) but they refused on grounds that her account is not sufficiently in credit.  Needless to say, up until this error occurred the account always had periods in debit as HB is paid in arrears, & this had always been accepted without query by landlord.  (In our experience all knowledgeable landlords accept this situation when they know the rent is coming from HB.)  I realise that if/when the Cl. leaves the property she will get the money back but that could be many years in the future.

Apart from making a maladministration claim against the LA is there anything Cl. can do?  Can the landlord’s refusal to refund be challenged with any likelihood of success, & if so how?

Any advice gratefully received.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2914

The claimant can ask the Council to send future HB payments to her instead, a request which they have absolutely no reason to refuse as she does not have arrears of 8 weeks and is not generally a risky tenant.  She can then retain for herself as much as she considers appropriate.  She can switch the payments back afterwards if she wants.

She has the right to appeal against the decision if the Council declines her request.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Not sure from the OP whether the client is a LA tenant or HA tenant?

If LA tenant, I don’t think there is any leeway at all regarding direct payment is there?

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

It sounds like it’s a Housing Association, otherwise I suspect the poster would have mentioned it. Is rent due in advance or in arrears? In principle, if it’s due in advance, then the landlord may be justified in retaining the rent payment. It seems the landlord may tolerate payment in arrears, but this may be for convenience rather than a legal right.

seand
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Wheatley Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 302

I work for a Housing Association with a simlar policy about rent credits and one of our tenants took exactly the action that HBanorak suggests. I thought it was a creative solution

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

Derek - 02 August 2014 09:17 PM

Cl. has social landlord ...

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Ah yes- thanks, situation clarified. Obviously read the thread before I had fully imbibed on my first cup of coffee.