to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

mixed age couples

tlerwillage
forum member

Benefits Officer, Age UK, Shropshire

Send message

Total Posts: 6

I’ve heard from a reputable source in the DWP that the mixed age couple change will be introduced this year.  can anyone confirm this?

[ Edited: 25 Jun 2014 at 08:24 pm by shawn mach ]
BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Haven’t heard anything about this recently, last I knew they were still talking about phasing it in ‘over several years’.
Mixed aged couples already getting Pension Credit should remain on it when the change comes, just new claimants affected.

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

Are you referring to UC [reg3 UC regs] then this is already the case for new claimants in pilot areas is it not? It will then trickle down as they roll out to different areas and different claimant groups.

Jon Blackwell
forum member

Programmer - Lisson Grove Benefits Program, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 501

tbidmead - 24 June 2014 04:09 PM

Are you referring to UC [reg3 UC regs] then this is already the case for new claimants in pilot areas is it not? It will then trickle down as they roll out to different areas and different claimant groups.

Is there anything (at the moment) to stop the older joint-claimant on a UC claim from claiming PC as soon as they reach QAFSPC? Schedule 2 para 64 WRA 2012 which brings in the change preventing mixed-age couples from claiming PC is still not commenced (for anyone, anywhere). Obviously, there won’t be many such couples given the patherfinder/gateway conditions (maybe none).

tlerwillage - 24 June 2014 02:17 PM

I’ve heard from a reputable source in the DWP that the mixed age couple change will be introduced this year.  can anyone confirm this?

In terms of the date for switching, DWP have been very quiet - this is the first suggestion I’ve heard that it will be this year - do you/your source have any more details?

tlerwillage
forum member

Benefits Officer, Age UK, Shropshire

Send message

Total Posts: 6

We were informed that the new rules for ‘mixed age couples’ for Pension Credit claims would come in by the end of this year by the Partnership Support Manager, DWP for Shropshire and Staffs.  I was surprised as I thought it would only come in when UC was rolled out in our area - which it won’t be until 2017, I think.  I phoned Pension Credit and after some fumbling around they agreed it was coming in this year but they couldn’t give a date.

Jon Blackwell
forum member

Programmer - Lisson Grove Benefits Program, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 501

tlerwillage - 25 June 2014 04:54 PM

We were informed that the new rules for ‘mixed age couples’ for Pension Credit claims would come in by the end of this year by the Partnership Support Manager, DWP for Shropshire and Staffs.  I was surprised as I thought it would only come in when UC was rolled out in our area - which it won’t be until 2017, I think.  I phoned Pension Credit and after some fumbling around they agreed it was coming in this year but they couldn’t give a date.

Interesting - thanks - has anyone else heard that this will be in 2014?

I did find this ppt from DWP ...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/312880/dwp-reform-story-overview-apr-2014-2.ppt.ppt

... it’s dated this April and says..

“[in] 2016 ... Changes to Pension Credit for Child Addition and mixed age couples come into effect.” (slide 11)

but goes on

“From a date to be decided mixed aged couples (where one member is over Pension Credit qualifying age and one below) will not have access to Pension Credit (PC)...”  (slide 15)

so perhaps they’ve changed their minds.