PIP Delays

1 2 > 

tootired
forum member

I&A, AgeUK Teesside

Send message

Total Posts: 5

I don’t post very often but ...

Government responds to Work and Pensions Committee’s call for urgent action to improve ‘unacceptable’ service to PIP claimants:

’ There have been several factors contributing to the delays and backlogs: at initial claims stage for example, claimants are required to complete and return a PIP2 form, within one month, which asks them to explain how their condition affects their daily life. More claimants than expected are taking much longer to return this form’

HOW!

Nothing really starts in any claiming process until a client returns a claim form - it’s the parts of the process that are after the DWP receive the claim form that appear to very poorly!

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Great minds think alike. I was going to post the same.

Does this Department accept ANY responsibility for their general ineptitude, incompetence and disregard for the wellbeing of its “Customers” (i hate that word!)

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 510

We had a talk from ATOS locally, with DWP representation also present, and neither attempted to argue then that claimants were in any way responsible. They were quite clear that staff problems, longer then planned assessments, overly optimistic predictions, and large number of face to face assessments needed were the cause. This latest PR is an absolutely disgraceful and cynical move and one that I strongly feels undermines some of the goodwill that was restored at the local meeting.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1965

No. It’s someone else’s fault. Forever.

Gail Knight
forum member

Welfare rights - Halton Council

Send message

Total Posts: 104

Exactly my thinking how can non reciept of a form delay the process when there is no claim to process

You have to laugh

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 471

Apologies if this is something I missed which everyone else knew about.. The message on the PIP helpline now says (in a beautifully judged sympathetic tone) that they are sorry PIP claims are taking longer than expected and they are working to resolve that. But then goes on to say it will take “26 weeks or longer” for an assessment from the date they receive the PIP2 form.

When they announced “improvements” back in April they were definitely talking about up to 26 weeks for the whole process from claim to decision. I know we have all had claims taking way longer than that. But have they just changed that message or did I not listen to it properly before? 26 weeks from receipt of the PIP2 to getting an assessment is certainly more realistic but I haven’t seen any publicity from DWP to admit that.

ninja9girl
forum member

Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 36

Typical delays appear to arise when the claimant hasn’t passed the security for the DWP to issue the PIP2.  I have one client where a family member holds LPOA.  DWP have been told this since she made the PIP1 claim.  12 weeks later they still haven’t requested evidence of the LPOA.  They have been told several times about the delay but have only just mentioned the POA issue when i asked for their complaints procedure.

Steve_h
forum member

Welfare Rights- AIW Health

Send message

Total Posts: 193

I have a client who made a claim in January this year and not had any assessment yet

What address to I write to so I can lodge a complaint?

(Not that it will do any good)

I have advised the client to see her MP.

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

I advise a complaint to DWP and Atos. Atos tend to tell people to speak to DWP and vice versa, so try covering all the bases. You may get lucky, as it has been over 26 weeks since the PIP2 would have been returned.

Steve_h
forum member

Welfare Rights- AIW Health

Send message

Total Posts: 193

What address do I write to?

Bryan R
forum member

Folkestone Welfare Union

Send message

Total Posts: 233

Clt in this morning with letter from her doctors stating that they had been contacted on the 26/8 by PIP about her assessment and that she had informed the assessment team that their absences had been going on since 2004.

Very strange as Clts appointment for assessment was on 29/8. Have written to PIP, ATOS and Doctor has been great and sworn an affidavit.

But lo and behold neither of them contacted the Doctor - must of been someone else, guv, contact atos said the DWP. Contacted ATOS wasn’t us guv ‘onest contact the DWP. The temerity of these people. ‘Economical with the truth’ springs to mind.

I’m sure if this gets to Tribunal, then I kind of suspect which way the Judge might go.

Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Advice and Rights Team, Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 550

At our Manchester conference last week, one adviser reported that letters before action (threat of taking JR) were having a beneficial impact in both getting assessments arranged and in obtaining a subsequent decision.

This may also be an area where CPAG could take on a suitable case under our public law contract, so please get in touch if you have a case that you would like to discuss with us.

Bryan R
forum member

Folkestone Welfare Union

Send message

Total Posts: 233

Hi Paul, who was the adviser, from what organisation?

Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Advice and Rights Team, Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 550

I wasn’t actually at the workshop when this was discussed Bryan, but I think it might have been Jim McKenny of Kirklees Council, who does post here sometimes (I can’t check this with the workshop facilitator as he’s on leave now).

You can get in touch with Jim through NAWRA alternatively.

ranaway
forum member

Welfare Rights, North Tyneside Disability Forum

Send message

Total Posts: 28

At an ATOS assessment yesterday, the HCP advised my client “don’t expect a decision within 10 weeks”.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3136