to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

JSA and mandatory reconsideration

gw
forum member

Glasgow West Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 285

I have completed a mandatory reconsideration for a Polish client who has been living and working in UK for 10 years.(ESA/IB for last few years.)
Tried to apply online and via telephone for JSA, unable to submit a claim, Jobcentre told him he has no recourse to benefit. I was thinking about downloading an application and completing a clerical claim.
Will this be accepted .?

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

What do you mean you couldnt submit a claim? Who do the DWP think they are?

I am sure that a claim can be made, and if they say the claimant is not entitled then you are informed in writing and the decision can then be challenged?

i am also pretty sure Jobcentre Plus call staff dont have the authority to say person (A) isnt entitled to claim this, or person (B) cant have that benefit. Thats down to a DM.

If he has lived in UK for 10 years then surely he has passed R2R and hab res tests anyway perhaps? May need more background.

I would try again via an online claim only. At least a computer wont hang up on you if you tell it it isnt applying the law!

Thoughts anyone??? I just hope ive interpreted the process correctly

gw
forum member

Glasgow West Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 285

Jobseeker’s Allowance Online

Sorry, this online service is not suitable for you to use.

Because you told us you have received Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) in the last month because of illness or disability, your application will be dealt with more quickly if you telephone Jobcentre Plus, where a customer service agent will help you apply for Jobseeker’s Allowance.

At this point he called JC+ and was unable to complete claim due to language barrier.
I will try again via telephone service tomorrow when he is due to come back in.. 

Carol Laidlaw
forum member

Oldham Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 68

The last I heard, the job centre were able to book telephone interpreters when one was needed. Or put it this way, Oldham job centre staff have told me they can do this, and I don’t imagine it’s only available in my locality.

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

JCP should have access to something called Big Word, or used to. The call centres are on a virtual network, so it won’t be geographically specific.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362