to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DLA LT re care/communication

TJL
forum member

Derby advice - Derby Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 251

I have a LT coming   up re a client who is   unable to grasp the following.

He does   not grasp info passed on to him

He talks around A topic and   links   it very tenously to other   info.

He does   not have learning diif. according to GP, is a carer for his brother, no-one remains   in contact for long enough to supervise him ( no realistic self harm) and   is   banned   by all other agencies locally as regards contacting them.  He   has various   physical health problems but   none as

Any ideas as regards working   his circs into either supervision or attention - this is the strongest feature   of   his   behaviour to the exclusion of all else

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Why is he banned for contacting other organizations and which ones?

TJL
forum member

Send message

He rings them repeatedly, shouting down the   phone and is unable to accept that a worker   will have more than   one client.  When the phone   is   put down on him he calls   back adinfinitum

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Sounds like he has a borderline personality disorder and is being manipulative more than anything else.

TJL
forum member

Send message

I doubt   he   has the capacity to understand that notion.To me someone who has a personality disorder can   understand that their actions can be   counterproductive and so limits their   behaviour -  this does   not apply to him.

For example   I can   place the   phone   on the desk and when I come   back 20 mins   later   he has   not registered that   in effect I’ve been ignoring   him as he is repeating the same   info as   before

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

any suggestion of autism/ Asperger’s?

TJL
forum member

Send message

There’s no diAgnosis but   his   behaviour certainly fits with other   clients I’ve dealt with who have   had Aspergers.

He is of an   age mid 50s when it   probably wasn’t recognised

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

From memory of trying to get an Asperger’s diagnosis for a client, family history played a significant part and psychologist wanted to interview parents and siblings, etc., which may be difficult for someone of your client’s age.
http://www.westberks.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=19344&p=0 is about children & DLA and a bit old now but may give you some pointers as a lot of the stuff obviously crosses over to adults too.
How does your client react to being banned from other agencies, being ignored and hung up on by people, etc. Does he get angry, upset, think it funny, indifferent? It may be difficult to get this info from him but it may be helpful to indicate the sort of mental harm that is inflicted on him when he is not supervised. Lack of social and interpersonal skills also obviously put him at general risk when dealing with strangers/members of the public so it is worth trying to get out of him whether he has been threatened/shouted at/abused, etc., for nothing other than what he sees as normal behaviour.

TJL
forum member

Send message

THe fact tthat someoen is   no longer talking to   him does   not seem to register with him.  He   has a certain strategy of talking at   people but seems reluctant to acknowledge the   help   he   has   been given.  He becomes   v.upset when I will not call him back to acknowledge   he   has   received   monies   owing.

He will not accept anyone elses   point   of view despite earlier saying   he will