Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

I think we should be told…

stevejohnsontrainer
forum member

@theflipchart ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 126

From today’s Rightsnet News section…

“Giving evidence to the committee yesterday, senior vice-president of Atos Lisa Coleman said -

‘Unless something is done around educating people what the actual operational reality of that policy really is and what they mean potentially for individuals going through that then I find it difficult to see that actually just changing the supplier will change things…. We often find that when somebody makes a comment that Atos has done an assessment incorrectly, actually, against the policy, what has happened has been right.”

What does Lisa mean by ‘policy’ as mention twice above? Is it something to do with refusing all but the most irresistible entitlements? I think we should be told.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

stevejohnsontrainer - 10 June 2014 09:18 PM

‘Unless something is done around educating people what the actual operational reality of that policy really is and what they mean potentially for individuals going through that then I find it difficult to see that actually just changing the supplier will change things…. We often find that when somebody makes a comment that Atos has done an assessment incorrectly, actually, against the policy, what has happened has been right.”

That’s wonderfully Golgafrinciam. You almost have to admire her.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Isn’t she saying “the Work Capability Assessment is inevitably going to be unpopular and unless the govt shoulders that burden then the new WCA provider will be in the same boat as us, all their staff will quit within 6 months and it’ll be the same all over again?”

[ Edited: 11 Jun 2014 at 11:09 am by Dan_Manville ]
Paul_Treloar
forum member

Welfare benefits caseworker, Mary Ward Legal Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 148

That may be what she is implying but it has to be said that the standard of Atos assessments, according to the records I have seen, are routinely dreadful.

Unless her point is that DWP policy has been to, off the record of course, brief Atos to try and ignore the very obvious symptoms and limitations that clients present with as a result of their health conditions and instead produce stock reports containing virtually identical wording, usually scoring 0 points for 2 out of every 3 people? Shurely not…

Steve_h
forum member

Welfare Rights- AIW Health

Send message

Total Posts: 193

How many ATOS staff will be TUPE’d to the new provider?

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 509

Unless something is done around educating people what the actual operational reality of that policy really is and what they mean potentially for individuals going through that then I find it difficult to see that actually just changing the supplier will change things….

I think she does deserve some credit for recognising and speaking up about this. Anyone meeting any Schedule 2 descriptor (with perhaps a couple of exceptions) clearly has very severe barriers to work, but as most descriptors score less than 15 points a person essentially has to qualify doubly or triply. And that’s just to get into the WRAG, which (when convenient) is still spun by the government as them being ‘fit for some work’ or similar.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

MrFinch - 11 June 2014 03:55 PM

Unless something is done around educating people what the actual operational reality of that policy really is and what they mean potentially for individuals going through that then I find it difficult to see that actually just changing the supplier will change things….

I think she does deserve some credit for recognising and speaking up about this. Anyone meeting any Schedule 2 descriptor (with perhaps a couple of exceptions) clearly has very severe barriers to work, but as most descriptors score less than 15 points a person essentially has to qualify doubly or triply. And that’s just to get into the WRAG, which (when convenient) is still spun by the government as them being ‘fit for some work’ or similar.

True, but I do wonder (i.e. I can’t be bothered to check) whether the “standards and norms” were set by DWP; that has massively skewed the effect of the WCA and may well be the “policy” Ms Coleman was referring to