× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Lie detectors abandoned

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

From the Register

The government has abandoned plans to use a telephone-based lie detector to catch benefits fiddlers, following criticism by scientists that the technology is no more reliable than tossing a coin.

Analysis of “Voice Risk Analysis” (VRA) software did not conclude it is effective, the Department of Work and Pensions said.

“The evidence is not compelling enough to recommend the use of VRA within DWP,” it explained.

The trials, begun under the previous government, cost £2.16m. A total of 24 local authorities were involved in the most recent batch of trials, and 23 reported results.

The software, supplied by Israeli firm Nemesysco via Capita, measured fluctuations in benefits claimants’ voices to calculate whether they were “low risk” or “high risk”, requiring further investigation.

Out of 12 authorities who tested the system during benefits reviews, only one reported it was a success.

seand
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Wheatley Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 302

I wonder which LA thought this snake oil was successful…

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

attached link to rightsnet news story -

DWP abandons plans to introduce lie detector software

cheers ros

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

I think it was Harrow that thought VRA was a success.  See http://www.publictechnology.net/content/14692

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

ros - 10 November 2010 04:59 PM

attached link to rightsnet news story -

DWP abandons plans to introduce lie detector software

cheers ros

Think the DWP might have to be very careful about saying this gadget doesn’t work, I seem to recall that some of the scientists that rubbished it when it came out were threatened with legal action by the manufacturer!