to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Puzzled as to when time limited ESA is not time limited

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

I am puzzled by a situation I am dealing with today and some appeal papers I am looking at. Client was on Incap since 1999, migrated to ESA and put in WRAG in 2012. Appealed to go into SG, waiting for Tribunal. The puzzling bit for me is that he is clearly receiving Contribution Based ESA (would not be entitled to IR) but the 365 days time limiting has not been applied.

The Sec of State Response in the appeal papers says that:

“On xx/xx/2013 X’s contributory based ESA exhausted but after checking departmental records it appears that X is still in payment of ESA contribution based”

This was nearly a year ago. Does this mean that the DWP has just forgotten to apply time limiting and even when they have spotted this fact not bothered to correct it? Or could there be an alternative explanation?

edited for missing word

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

I’ve come across it. It was subsequently rectified. No letter, of course, just a click of the button and the adjustment of payment.

Sophia2013
forum member

Redbridge Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 44

May be DWP realised that client should have been on SG in the first place and has every chance of winning his appeal.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

I think Edmund has the rights of it.

I’ve come across it a couple of times too. Last time the client concerned was (luckily) placed in the SG by the FTT but on the other occasion the client was placed in the WRAG (DWP picked up on the error at that point but didn’t try to argue the resulting overpayment was recoverable).

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Edmund Shepherd - 09 June 2014 09:21 AM

I’ve come across it. It was subsequently rectified. No letter, of course, just a click of the button and the adjustment of payment.

By ‘adjustment of payment’ I assume that you mean termination of payments?

FIT Advisor
forum member

benefit advice officer, three rivers housing association, co durham

Send message

Total Posts: 144

I remember querying this some time ago on this site and view was if claimant found fit for work whilst on ESA cb., during the appeal process it continued to be paid as a cb benefit even if the waiting time took payments over 365 days. But yes, agree if it has stopped due to the 365 days then only an successful appeal will result in payment of arrears due.