to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

H/B paid for nil income because of JSA sanction

J.Mckendrick
forum member

Welfare Benefits Team - Phoenix & Norcas

Send message

Total Posts: 279

Please can anyone advise me - European national is currently claiming JSA and has worker status. The same client is also in receipt of housing benefit. Client unfortunately gets JSA sanction (forever reason) Question 1 - Is client’s HB affected in any way! Question 2 - does client still have RTR as a sanctioned job seeker (with or without worker status)!

chacha
forum member

Benefits dept - Hertsmere Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 472

J.Mckendrick - 21 May 2014 12:35 PM

Client unfortunately gets JSA sanction (forever reason)

Not sure what that is? How long is the sanction and why was he sanctioned.

What’s his work history?

J.Mckendrick
forum member

Welfare Benefits Team - Phoenix & Norcas

Send message

Total Posts: 279

Many thanks for your interest - not too sure the exact details but the general question would be - does a jobseeker with worker status keep his/her worker status if sanctioned (whatever the term and reason) and continues to abide by the JCP’s instructions. Many thanks! JM

chacha
forum member

Benefits dept - Hertsmere Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 472

The reason, and the length of the sanction, *may* be crucial to loss of HB especially with the new rules.

In general, if the sanction is not so serious as to be fatal, then a worker remains a worker for HB purposes.

An example, if a claimant leaves his job voluntarily he may be sanctioned for 26 to 156 weeks, depending. If that happens it impacts on HB because it *may* mean he does not retain his/her worker status.

I say, *may*, because the fact someone leaves work voluntarily, in itself, doe s not mean the lose the worker status, the material facts will matter.

Kay.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

I think that a crucial question would be does he retain limks with the labour market?  A definition of involuntarily unemployment was discussed in CIS/2423/2009.

File Attachments