to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Listing appeals

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Hmmm…

Two cases this week (both WCA failures). Bundles came in by post on the same day as TS circulating a date. Both dates for early June. As I am on leave for a week next week and have a full diary I can’t even meet with the clients before the hearing date, let alone prepare any form of sub. I rather suspect postponment requests would be refused.

Is this the shape of things to come in view of the substantial drop in appeals? Are we to lurch from one extreme to the other? The thing I don’t understand is that I have a rake of pre- MR appeals waiting to be listed, many of which have been outstanding for 6 months or more. Indeed, when I rang TS on Monday to chase up on one of them I was told the waiting list for ESA appeals for the local venue is currently 27 weeks. So how does that work then? Are they listing the ‘new’ appeals first for some reason? To prevent the client from doing a ‘revolving door’ and reclaiming ESA immediately if the appeal fails, or is that my raving paranoia?

Anyone else noticing anything similar?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Suspect several things going on.

In order to retain certain shared venues I suspect TS will have to pre-book dates and so, yes, postponement less likely. Linked in with that is that certain jurisdictions, spotting the drop in TS bookings, will have been busily taking over room as fast as they can. Certainly happened in Manchester as far as I can tell. So, when you get a date you’re probably stuck with it, and, you could be waiting some time to get that date in the first place. Coupled with the most inept TS administration I have seen in 30 years it’s a heady mix/perfect storm. Whatever you want to call it.