to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

single mum with one child in shared accommodation. LHA rate

mandy123
forum member

Benefits, CHAI, Edinburgh

Send message

Total Posts: 1

If there’s a single mum aged 27 with one child of 5yrs, living in one room in a shared house. She only has exclusive use of 1 room. I know that under the size criteria for her household she should get the 2 bed LHA. However because she is in shared accommodation with exclusive use of one room, does that mean she is only PAID the shared accom rate of LHA??

Thanks!

Jane OP
forum member

The National Autistic Society, Welfare Rights, Nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 161

Hi Mandy,

I don’t think it is possible for someone with a child to be restricted to the shared accom rate, I think she qualifies for the two bedroom rate.

I think the restriction to the shared accom rate is only possible for single claimants and couples with no one else in their household.

Jane

Personal views expressed are my own and do not constitute the official view of the NAS

andyrichards
forum member

City services - Brighton and Hove City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 204

Yes that is correct.  The 2-bedroom rate of LHA will apply

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2910

The two things you had at the back of your mind are:

- she can only get HB up to the level of her actual rent, which is presumably around what you would normally expect for shared accommodation.  But the 2-bed LHA at least gives her a budget.

- couples without children and singles over 35 who occupy shared accommodation are normally restricted to the shared rate where they would otherwise be in line for the one-bed rate.  That doesn’t apply in your case because she qualifies for more than one bedroom under the size criteria