Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Does DWP inform LA when State Retirement Pension is paid?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

This may be a silly question, I don’t know…
Would the DWP normally inform a Local Authority when it starts paying state retirement pension to a HB/CTR claimant in the same way that it notifies LA about ESA/JSA etc., stopping and starting?
Haven’t got the full facts yet but HB and CTR overpayment being claimed on basis that LA was not aware that claimant was receiving state pension. He was previous getting Incap Ben and private pension when claimed HB in Aug 12, Incap claim stopped when SRP put into payment following 65th birthday in May 13. Overpayment raised March 14.
Yes, he should have informed LA that SRP started but I am wondering if it will have been informed anyway?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

Hi Tony, thanks for that.
The local authority is now admitting that it was informed by the DWP/Pension Service that SRP was in payment. However, it is saying that it was not notified until about 10 months later, hence o/p.
Do you know if Incap Ben award ending would also be notified to council in same way that Income Support/Pension Credit, etc., would be?
I appreciate that client may still be on a sticky wicket with this but would like to carry on exploring any evidence that may ultimately help.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

“Do you know if Incap Ben award ending would also be notified to council in same way that Income Support/Pension Credit, etc., would be”?

Yes it usually would be.

nevip
forum member

Send message

Hi Tony

I have access to our Housing Benefit department’s computerised record of claims and claim history so I can go in and see all information and activity on any claim and copies of all documents sent and received.  Notifications of DWP benefit awards and changes are notified to the LA electronically pro-forma.  There is a particular word for this the name of which escapes me for the moment.

nevip
forum member

Send message

Atlas.  That’s it.  I’ve been trying to think of that all day.

nevip
forum member

Send message

“Do they notify awards and changes for all benefits and allowances”?

I’m not sure but LA’s and the DWP communicate far more effectively with each other than they used to do, which is useful.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Atlas only affects means tested round these parts but having had a long conversation with our local HB staff I wouldn’t be surprised if more info was available with a more recent system than we use.

A Subject Access Request would be in order if it were me…

nevip
forum member

Send message

I’ve seen awards of con/ESA notified.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

I was told yesterday that Incap Benefit awards/terminations are notified too

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

In addition, LA benefit departments can access benefit info via CIS. I gather this is generally used to check when claimants notify receipt of benefit income. Of course, it doesn’t remove the responsibility for reporting income.

I have noted a couple of issues with the tax credit information held on the LA system and HMRC. This could be because HMRC doesn’t update it immediately, but I can’t be sure.