to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Backdated PIP, HB, Non Dep Deductions. Place your bets

Lorraine Cooper
forum member

Family Support, Barnardo's, Merthyr Tydfil

Send message

Total Posts: 132

Client formerly in receipt of DLA.  After a very lengthy PIP delay (including MP’s intervention), PIP Daily Living component awarded back to June last year.

In the meantime, client has had non dep deduction from her HB for her 20 year old daughter, and moved house.  All is well in the new home, and HB is actually correct (I know, I’m as shocked as you are!).

However, at this stage no idea whether the HB section have applied the PIP from the correct award date & removed the NDD, paying outstanding benefit to the former landlord, or not applied it until the decision date.  Your guess is as good as mine.  2 landlords, one HB section, someone’s got money the client should have.  And guess who’s tidying up the mess?

No advice needed really, just venting.  Trouble is, these PIP delays are causing an awful lot of these situations & I’m really not sure that HB know how to deal with them.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2909

What they should do is make a superseding decision from the date of PIP entitlement and revise any further decisions made in the meantime. But before releasing the arrears they should look into the circumstances and make sure the money goes where it is most appropriate for it to go. Mistakes are difficult to rectify afterwards