Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

No Access To Public Funds

abexto
forum member

Welfare Rights Nottingham City Council Nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 2

Can anyone please assist?

My clients son arrived (from Bermuda)  in the UK in Dec 2012 & was arrested at Heathrow because he is wanted for a crime in Bermuda.  The police arrested him, confiscated his passport & bailed him fro 7am - 7pm to his mothers home.

Mum is a client of mine & has lived in the UK for 18 months - she is in receipt of JSA.
They are fighting extradition (he has a human rights barrister, I am advised.) which could take some time.
The clients son has no ID or NI number - does not have any access to public funds/dentist/GP any money and mum is having to support him from her JSA.

Can anyone please advise? Would also like to add, that to be extradited would put his life in danger.

[ Edited: 11 Mar 2014 at 03:06 pm by abexto ]
HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2915

People from Bermuda have British nationality don’t they?  It is one of the British Overseas Territories whose citizens automatically became British about ten years ago, after Hong Kong had been offloaded.  So his only obstacle to getting benefits would be HRT2, and he’s been here long enough to satisfy that by the look of it