to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DLA for blind baby

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

I have had a rather distraught client on the phone who is hopping mad that her 6 month old child who was born blind was refused any DLA award.

I explained that the DM may have decided that due to the childs age that there are no extra personal care needs compared to a non blind child. Too young to need constant supervision for example, and other care needs are as normal for a child at that age and the visual impairment has nothing to do with those.

I do know however (as luckily my partner works with blind children) that sighted babies develop and learn (even at that age) by looking around and being curious about their surroundings. Remembering and recognising faces, curiosity etc etc.

Blind babies apparently require non visual stimulation otherwise they can vegetate and it can affect their development later in life. My client has purchased various VI stimulus aids to try and help here.

Ok : The million dollar question : Has anyone here had DLA awarded in these circumstances. Im going to argue about the VI stimulus thing, but im struggling to see if it can be classed as a personal care issue requiring help throughout the day, or a significant part thereof.

Any insights would be good

Thanks

acg
forum member

Welfare rights service - Greenwich Council

Send message

Total Posts: 36

The recognised authority for babies and childrens DLA claims are the Sheridan charts which itemise developmental milestones and at what age they are normally achieved by babies and children who do not have disabilities.See “From Birth to Five Years:Children’s Developmental Progress” by Mary Sheridan.

It should be relatively straightforward to show that blind babies will not have reached these milestones and therefore require substantially more supervision and attention than babies of the same age in “normal” physical health,though note DLA Care Component can only be paid from 3 months unless the baby has a terminal illness.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

I don’t know if these are the same milestones, but from the DWP guidance in the ‘VISION AND MANIPULATION’ column at http://dwp.gov.uk/docs/children.pdf

BIRTH
- Follow moving objects with
eyes.
- Range 45 degrees
8 - 10 inches away.
- Hands remain closed.
(Involuntary grasp reflex).

6 WEEKS
- At 6 weeks a baby can focus
and follow an object.
- They watch their mothers
intently, when she speaks.

3 MONTHS
- A baby will follow with its eyes
a moving toy, that is held in
front of them through 180
degrees.
- They will hold hands in front of
face and observe them.
- Holds a rattle momentarily
when it is placed in the hand.

6 TO 8 MONTHS
- Can grasp objects and enjoys
playing with hands held in front.
- Will drop an object when
another is handed to them.
- Can follow objects with their
eyes and can also reach for them

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Thanks fellas. Most appreciated. Just wasnt sure whether developmental support counted as personal attention/supervision

I will give an MR a good go. My partner who works with VI kids is also going to try and find
some more supporting stuff from work.

Thanks again. Most helpful