Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Atos to lose WCA contract?

Paul_Treloar
forum member

Welfare benefits caseworker, Mary Ward Legal Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 148

Guardian reporting that Atos may lose contract for WCA assessments

Have to ask, would this make any difference overall in the end?

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Not in my opinion.

We all know Atos can be rubbish but they are just conforming to government guidelines and targets.

Are Capita any better? or Serco. Or G4S?

Typical government, blaming someone else for implementing THEIR stuff. Ho hum!

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

No

I sense there has been a successful propaganda inititiative to scapegoat ATOS; their removal will likely be implemented just before the election as a sop to the activist groups.

I feel it likely that ATOS will be hung out to dry as appeasement for Welfare Reform. I just hope it doesn’t work and the electorate sees this government in the light of what it’s done.

Paul_Treloar
forum member

Welfare benefits caseworker, Mary Ward Legal Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 148

Yes, I would tend to agree that the timing is certainly very suspicious when you look at how they’re starting to prepare the ground for next year’s elections. Atos assessments have been, and continue to be, routinely dreadful, but the DWP decision-making structure clearly has no capacity or appetite to do anything about this situation.

A.n.other private contractor may improve the assessment process perhaps, but will the ultimate outcome be so very different, especially now we have MR to further delay the process and obstruct the route to justice for those so badly affected?

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3784

from the FT -

‘Outsource group seeks exit from UK £500m benefits contract after death threats

Persistent death threats against staff who decide whether sick and disabled people are eligible for benefits have forced the private company employing them to seek an early exit from a £500m government contract.

With opposition Labour MPs also stepping up criticism, Atos Healthcare said the political environment had become untenable and that it was no longer fair to employees to leave them vulnerable to attack.

“It is becoming incredibly difficult for our staff; it’s pretty unpleasant,” people close to the company said.

About 163 incidents of the public assaulting or abusing staff were recorded each month last year, Atos said.’

http://on.ft.com/1fCxzg5

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3784

Atos now saying that in its current form the medical assessment system is not working for for claimants, for DWP or for Atos ..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/benefits-uk-testing-firm-atos-3168142

Den DANES
forum member

DIAL Lowestoft and Waveney

Send message

Total Posts: 110

Funny how Atos are suddenly being reported as saying they ‘want’ to give up the contract just as they were about to be given the boot anyway.

ChrisG
forum member

Shelter, South Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 34

Andyp4 - 18 February 2014 02:32 PM

Talking of which…....................going off at a tangent…..........  but not quite to the same extent as Helston Swimming pool in the 1970’s Paul, have a look at this attached response to a FOI via a local MP in particular the response to questions C and D from the DWP Information, Governance and Security Directorate.

I just don’t believe that the info re: mental health related appeals has not already been collected!

RMR
forum member

Senior welfare & benefits advisor - Sutton Borough CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 34

This might give adviser time to cope with the foreseen increase in PIP appeals,
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/atos-quietly-dropped-from-carrying-out-repeat-reassessments-by-dwp-internal-memo-shows-9151893.html

Government contracts based around statistical norms are always going to be a large part of the problem
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/09/atos-disabled-people-assessment-fit-work-report

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Andyp4 - 26 February 2014 03:52 PM
JohnnyM - 26 February 2014 01:01 PM
Andyp4 - 18 February 2014 02:32 PM

Talking of which…....................going off at a tangent…..........  but not quite to the same extent as Helston Swimming pool in the 1970’s Paul, have a look at this attached response to a FOI via a local MP in particular the response to questions C and D from the DWP Information, Governance and Security Directorate.

I just don’t believe that the info re: mental health related appeals has not already been collected!

They did say they had info, but…............................£600…........................etc etc etc

Can’t you request a review? If they’re categorising claims by ICD10 category surely they’ll have a marker telling them which of those went to appeal and which are still in payment (i.e. won); it’s disingenuous to thin that they can tell which are still undergoing assessment but not those that have been to appeal and are still in payment.