to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

late request for 1st tier tribunal WSOR

ror1
forum member

Surrey Disabled Peoples Partnership

Send message

Total Posts: 5

I just had a late request for WSOR for failed ESA appeal turned down. Reason was claimant should have realised that he had 1 month to appeal.

I only got involved with client during his DLA appeal. this was 2 months after ESA appeal.

Client does not have english as his 1st language.

Has anyone had a late request refused?

Is it worth appealing on the basis that english is not his 1st language

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2916

Yes it is worth appealing because eventually an Upper Tribunal judge will have the chance to overrule the FtT.  I think the correct procedure now is that you seek permission to appeal without an SOR in the interests of justice under Rule 38(7)(c).  The FtT will probably refuse uness a different judge deals with it, then you seek permission directly from the UT without an SOR- they might see it differently.

I did this once and found that the FtT wilfully missed the point.  My application for permission to appeal under r38(7)(c) was rejected with comments to the effect that I was seeking permission to appeal against the refusal to issue an SOR out of time.  No I wasn’t - I was seeking permission to appeal against the actual substantive decision.  Perhaps be an idea to make that clear in the application.