Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

genuine and effective self-employment

nottsadvisor
forum member

Welfare rights - Nottingham City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 129

Some opinions sought on this one.

My cleint is a Latvian national who has had her HB stopped because her self employment is not seen as genuine and effective, due to low earnings.  Previously she got HB on the basis of similar earnings but they now seem to have changed their mind and superseded the award.  She earns about £50 per week on average. Still in reciept of CTC and CHB.

She works on a commission only basis at a hairdressing salon, getting either 40 or 50% of what the client pays the salon, depending on the type of work done - and the salon provides all the equipment and products.  The salon owner does all the advertising and so on, although my client has tried to drum up new business via word of mouth round her friends and people she studies English with.  Cl is in the salon a regular 24 hours per week although says will use the time to study for her ESOL course when she is not with a client.  She is registered with HMRC and pays her own tax and NI. 

2 questions really -
1. is she arguably employed, rather than self employed?  It seems more like an employment relationship to me.  If she is employed but obviously earning far less than minimum wage how will that affect her chances of showing the work is genuine and effective?  (In other words do people think should I argue she is really employed to support her case, or will that make matters even worse)?

2. the HB decison letter mentions that she does not earn enough to suport herself and her son.  I thought caselaw had decided the fact that someone needs means tested benefits to top up their income was of no relevance to whether somene is doing genuine and effective work.  Has that changed?

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

My view is that she’s self employed.  The attached decision should give you the arguments you need.

File Attachments

nottsadvisor
forum member

Welfare rights - Nottingham City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 129

I was looking at that, I agree it’s helpful if she is self employed. 

The reason I thought she might arguably be employed in all but name is that she does not do all the things I would normally expect a self-employed person to do - i.e. pay for own equipment / ongoing expenses, advertise her business and so on, and she seems to be required to be present in the salon for regular hours whether clients are in or not.  It just didn’t seem clear cut to me.

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 618

The real test of self employment in my view is whther she could send a substitute in her place.  If the “employer” forbids that its the marke of being an employed rther than a self employed earner.

Sham self employment, (call it exploitation if you want) is becoming a major social ill, much encouraged by our so called “flexible” labour laws