Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Positive ESA assessment experience

miket
forum member

Welfare Advice Team, South Gloucestershire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 18

Hello
I know that we all have horror stories about ESA assessments but I thought I would share with you a positive experience that I had yesterday at our local assessment centre.

I attended the assessment with my client, her husband and her daughter. Client has complex mental health issues as well as some physical issues. Surprisingly we were all allowed to go in to the assessment room with my client, already a great relief to my client.

Over the next 80 minutes the HCP carried out an extremely thorough assessment of my client, asking insightful and probing questions and making allowances for my client’s conditions, and her husband’s tendancy to talk for her. I could not have asked for a better examination.

Will now be interested to see how it turns out and what the end result is.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

miket - 30 January 2014 07:55 AM

Hello

Will now be interested to see how it turns out and what the end result is.

nil points I’ll bet…

S2uABZ
forum member

Money adviser - Aberdeen City Council Financial Inclusion Team

Send message

Total Posts: 130

I may be getting overly cynical in my old age but i’m guessing the fact you and the family were there may have led the medical examiner to actually carry out a proper assessment!

past_caring
forum member

Welfare Benefits Casework Supervisor, Brixton Advice Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 87

Yet more cynicism from me, I’m afraid (whilst at the same time hoping I am wrong and that your client obtains an appropriate result).

a) I’ve lost count of the number of clients who have had a positive experience during the examination, only for the actual report to then paint a picture of their being in the rudest of health.

b) If the examiner is ‘on message’, how many claimants will she have had to improperly assess in order to allow her to meet her failure quota and thereby enable a ‘fair’ assessment for your client? (i.e. one of the lucky 20% or whatever the figure is now).

c) And if she’s not ‘on message’ then she will discover in fairly short order that it’s a case of shape up or ship out…...