to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Industrial Death Benefit

Leese
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker Manchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 16

I gather from my inability to find anything regarding this that it is an old benefit no longer in existence for new claimants but is it contribution based and therefore payable alongside State Retirement Pension? Help would be appreciated I’ve never heard of it but the client’s husband passed away in 1980 and she had a 10 year old child at the time, she was 36. She came in for a simple benefit check only simple if you’ve heard of all the benefits in question.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

IDB (abolished long ago) is payable for widows whose husbands died in an industrial accident before 11/4/88.  It is not contribution based and can be paid alongside other contributory benefits such as retirement pensions.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1975/14/part/II/chapter/IV/crossheading/industrial-death-benefit/enacted

Leese
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker Manchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 16

Thank you for that, I thought it may have been based on her late husband’s contributions, and I guessed it was long abolished because I couldn’t find anything on the net. Obviously not typed in the correct key words.