Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Convention Rights and the Work Capability Assessment

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Well well…

A Tribunal has just accepted that; analogous to MM & DM, convention rights are in play when making a WCA decision. Where there is a failure to obtain medical evidence when they are already mandated to do -in this case there was an expression of a history of suicide attempts, but discussion of self harm or people under appointeeship should also trigger an ESA113 being issued- then that consitutes a breach of the Sec State’s duties to act in a manner consistent with the ECHR as laid down at S6(1) HRA.

Could be a handy wee argument so beyond waving my arms around a bit I thought I’d share.

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 872

this finding is pretty consistent with the court of appeal finding on the wca and mental health/learning disability then?

what was the actual outcome decision in this case, if the medical or process is invalid does the person need to have another assessment?

Dan_Manville
forum member

Send message

Yes it’s consistent; I argued that MM & DM were analogous to the decision in Thlimennos and the Tribunal accepted it.

It was a conversion decision so with the supersession invalid it should be back to IB.

In practice I suspect (hope) they’ll appeal it and suspend the effect until the UT has had it’s say.

Steve_h
forum member

Welfare Rights- AIW Health

Send message

Total Posts: 193

What’s MM & DM mean?

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

I almost hope it does go to UT. It’s handy having some precedent to pull out of the proverbial hat.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Send message

Steve_h - 21 January 2014 08:30 AM

What’s MM & DM mean?

see rightsnet news story… http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/news/story/court-of-appeal-rejects-dwp-against-decision-that-claimants-with-mental-hea

Dan_Manville
forum member

Send message

Edmund Shepherd - 21 January 2014 09:24 AM

I almost hope it does go to UT. It’s handy having some precedent to pull out of the proverbial hat.

Indeed…

Dan_Manville
forum member

Send message

stevenmcavoy - 20 January 2014 04:45 PM

this finding is pretty consistent with the court of appeal finding on the wca and mental health/learning disability then?

what was the actual outcome decision in this case, if the medical or process is invalid does the person need to have another assessment?

Sorry I missed this.

Supersession invalid so still entitled to IB. They might need ot have another assessment or they might appeal the decision and suspend the effect thus leaving the appellant in the WRAG until it’s sorted out.

I’d post the decision notice but I’ve not got a thick enough black pen to obscure the details of the appellant against the might of our scanner.