Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

All I want for Xmas is PIP decisions

< 1 2 3 > 

Linda Willars
forum member

Senior benefits and deputyship officer - Leicestershire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 5

I haven’t had any decisions yet, even from claims made in June.  I’ve had a client who has had an assessment in her own home (yes, you read that right) although the first appointment date was cancelled on the morning of the appointment and not rescheduled for another 6 weeks.

PeteS
forum member

Financial inclusion - NPT Homes, Neath

Send message

Total Posts: 17

Thank you Santa! I knew you would come through. My first PIP decision was waiting on my return to work. HR mobility and HR daily living.

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

DWP to publish ad hoc report on PIP claims registered and decisions made between April and December 2013 on 11 Feb -

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/277613/20140205-upcoming-ad-hoc-releases.csv/preview

Roger
forum member

Advice service manager - Citizens Advice Bureau Isle of Wight

Send message

Total Posts: 17

I’ve now seen two decisions! Both awarded standard care. The first was awarded 8 points entirely on the basis of aids and appliances, which seems far too easy for the equivalent of M care DLA. (Although he did have other problems, which were ignored.)

annief
forum member

Benefits adviser - Maggie's Centre, Edinburgh

Send message

Total Posts: 107

I have just had a decision disallowing PIP to a laryngectomy patient. She was too unwell to complete the PIP2 in time due to hospitalisation so the decision was based solely on the ATOS assessment. They only scored her 6 points for care.
Needless to say a reconsideration is going in with a bucket load of information as she should score enough to get the enhanced daily living and at least the standard rate for mobility.

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

pip stats on new claims for april to december 2013 now out -

less than one in five had decision made by december 2013 and sharp decrease in cumulative percentage of decisions leading to award between june (88%) and december (50%) -

here’s rightsnet news story -

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/news/story/dwp-makes-decision-on-less-than-one-in-five-new-pip-claims-in-period-up-to

and stats themselves -

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-management-information

paulmoorhouse
forum member

Central and South Sussex CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 96

2 months on and this thread is still going.. How many decision making days till Xmas 2014?

Krissie Newton
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser, Freshwinds, Birmingham

Send message

Total Posts: 60

Can you believe it, I’ve just had some PIP decisions! Nothing until now, not even for forms completed in July. The three I’ve just had through are all mental health, one awarded standard rate and two awarded enhanced rate daily living component. No mobility component awarded to any, even though none of the cliamants go out alone - all scored the 4 points for needing prompting to avoid psychological distress but none were found to qualify under the being unable to follow a route aspect.

None of the applications for physical health problems alone made around the same time have been decided, or have even had medical assessments yet.

I was quite impressed by the level of detail in the decision letters, and the levels of award made were more generous than I think would have been made under DLA.

I will be going on maternity leave next week on a slightly more cheery note now that the awards have eventually started to come through, rather than leaving a caseload of 50 undecided PIP claims as I thought was going to be the case this time last week.

Colin1
forum member

Welfare department - Citizens Advice Bureau St Helens

Send message

Total Posts: 8

This is from the PIP general enquiries line in December. The delays are due to ATOS not meeting their targets. PIP assessors cannot chase up the reports so they arrive when they arrive. The report and recommendation by ATOS is then looked at and a decision made - this decision is then looked at again to make sure it is right, before being issued to the claimant. Denial that targets have been removed for ATOS reports

One of my clients submitted her PIP in July’13 and had her face to face ATOS assessment on 2/8/13. PIP sent her a letter dated 10/2/14 (6 months) confirming they have received all the information needed and will make a decision soon.

- - - - - - - - -

It is also worth noting there are delays in ATOS ESA85 reports and decisions following completion of the ESA50 - Typically 4-5 months.
ESA confirm that ATOS are looking to decide re-referals on Scrutiny only.

adviceplus
forum member

Rhondda Cynon Taff CBC (Welfare Rights Project)

Send message

Total Posts: 29

paulmoorhouse - 11 February 2014 12:27 PM

2 months on and this thread is still going.. How many decision making days till Xmas 2014?

This assumption seems not far fetched : I just had 2 clients who will be aged 16 and need to be switched from DLA to PIP

Both have been given a 12 month extension of their DLA awards pending decisions on the PIP claims….

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Whats bothering me is that i have clients who have been waiting since last summer for even their medical and they are sick to death of the whole thing. They are so ground down by this they have told me that if they get turned down they have lost the will to challenge/appeal it.

The conspiracist in me tells me that this is deliberate, but we all know its just down to good ol’ fashioned DWP/Atos?Capita incompetence

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

benefitsadviser - 12 February 2014 09:41 AM

The conspiracist in me tells me that this is deliberate, but we all know its just down to good ol’ fashioned DWP/Atos?Capita incompetence

I’m not so sure.

This article in the Grauniad painted to me a world in which The System would make life so intolerable for individual claimants that they’d give up on it.

Seems to be what’s happening. Getting the claimant caseload down by attrition instead of through more restrictive decision making.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Frankly, I think it’s true and have done for some time.

The fact is that both the DWP and HMRC have become almost completely unaccountable and I believe it’s quite intentional.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

DManville - 12 February 2014 01:15 PM
benefitsadviser - 12 February 2014 09:41 AM

I’m not so sure.

This article in the Grauniad painted to me a world in which The System would make life so intolerable for individual claimants that they’d give up on it.

Seems to be what’s happening. Getting the claimant caseload down by attrition instead of through more restrictive decision making.

Another hollowed out theorist who’s only ever walked in the rarefied atmosphere of Capitol Hill and academia.

http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/politics/faculty/mead/mead_vitae.pdf

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

1964 - 12 February 2014 02:38 PM

DWP and HMRC have become almost completely unaccountable and I believe it’s quite intentional.

One of the main reasons I dedicate more time to trying to help people through the Courts; they’re still accountable to someone...