Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Sitting/standing descriptor - need to consider ‘reasonable adjustments’?

Ken Butler
forum member

Disability Rights UK

Send message

Total Posts: 231

Following advising on a client’s appeal to the Upper Tribunal I’ve had the resulting judgment - CE/3234/2012 - sent to me (attached).

The tribunal’s decision to dismiss the client’s limited capability for work appeal has been set aside.

The ground for appeal related to the sitting/standing descriptor.

Unfortunately, the decision is good and bad at the same time.

In paragraph 4 Judge Fordham does usefully stress that the sitting/standing descriptor relates to the need to remain at a work station -

“The work station is important. As has been observed, the test is predicated on the modern workplace requiring an individual to remain at their work station long enough to do their job”

As the client typically lay on a sofa with her leg resting during the day there was serious doubt if that test could be satisfied.

All well and good.

However, in paragraph 5 the Judge says that a new tribunal “could properly take into account the question of whether ‘reasonable adjustments’ could address the claimant’s need to sit in a particular way at a workstation”.

I think that the specific requirement for consideration of reasonable adjustments is limited to regulation 29 and 35 of the ESA Regs 2008 whereby the definition of ‘substantial risk’ excludes circumstances where the risk to health could be significantly reduced by reasonable adjustments being made in the workplace.

Even this has only been since January 2013 and the client in this case was appealing a decision of August 2011.

Given this, does anyone have a view as to whether Judge Fordham’s ‘reasonable adjustment’ finding in relation to standing/sitting can still hold up?

File Attachments

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Surely it’s using such aids or adaptations as might be reasonably practicable in the circumstances and as such, close attention would need to be applied to the ability to complete the desired activity at said adapted workstation in assessing what might be practicable.

Ken Butler
forum member

Disability Rights UK

Send message

Total Posts: 231

DManville - 29 October 2013 12:02 PM

Surely it’s using such aids or adaptations as might be reasonably practicable in the circumstances and as such, close attention would need to be applied to the ability to complete the desired activity at said adapted workstation in assessing what might be practicable.

Hi Dan,

I do take your point.

However, Reg 19(4) specifies aids or appliances normally worn by the claimant.

CE/1217/2011 holds that the correct approach is as follows:
“If the claimant does not use a particular type of aid or appliance and one has not been prescribed or recommended, then the decision maker or First-tier Tribunal is entitled to take the view that the claimant should be assessed as if using one, but only if one is normally used by people in that situation acting reasonably in all the circumstances and it would be reasonable for the claimant to do the same.”

The ESA Regs do not give a definition of aid or appliance.

Its doubtful that they were originally intended to cover reasonable adjustments by an imaginary employer (although that doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t).

For me the problem in Judge Fordham’s ‘real world’ approach is that it further extends the kind of evidence and arguments that needs to considered and argued in WCA appeals - “and I will demonstrate to your satisfaction that there are no reasonable adjustments an employer can or would make that would benefit my client.”

This is in contrast to the solely ‘functional’ approach taken in two recent decisions in relation to mobilising - CE/3315/2012 and CE/3737/2012.

In effect both would hold that the fact that someone cannot in real-life be allocated or use a wheelchair as there are steps to their front door is irrelevant - the only consideration is whether they can reasonably mobilise if sitting in one.

Are aids and appliances always equatable with ‘reasonable’ adjustments?

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Aids and appliances... you can tell I’m doing mental health now 😉

The meter to my mind would be “reasonably in the circumstances”; since GS v SSWP (ESA) [2010] UKUT 244 (AAC) we do know that the new test is a lot closer to the workplace than C1/95 (IB) placed the PCA so in my submission it would be reasonable to determine whether the aid hypothesied might restrain the claimant’s ability to operate in that workplace.

You lady lying down would have hell of a job with a computer on a coffee table; would the trunk movements necessary to operate siad coffee table trouble a compressed nerve root frinstance?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Seems to me that this very site shows a number of contradictory decisions currently being pushed out on this topic so we are inevitably heading toward a tribunal of judges being convened at some point.

To be honest, I don’t see as much of a problem as maybe other people do with the ‘reasonable adjustments’ approach. I would disagree that it’s just about sitting in a wheelchair.

Other recent decisions have suggested the getting in and out would be relevant for example. However, as someone who has actually been through numerous processes of reasonable adjustments I do wonder what peoples experience of the concept is. The reality is that ‘reasonable adjustments’ vary from person to person and organisation to organisation. Attempts by tribunals to impose a one size fits all are doomed to failure in the longer term.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

I have a very similar ongoing issue with one of my clients (FTT failed and we’re currently awaiting the SOR) so I will be interested to see how this one pans out.

My client is, like the client in this scenario, realistically unable to sit/stand at a workplace for more than a very limited period. At home she uses a recliner chair that enables her to lie flat (the only position in which she can remain in any degree comfortable). No points were awarded in relation to sitting/standing by the FTT (despite them specifically stating that they believed the client’s account of her difficulties) and I am anticipating the SOR will mention the reasonable adjustments issue.

It seems to me that a need to lie flat is not something that any workplace could realistically make ‘reasonable adjustments’ to accommodate.

paulmoorhouse
forum member

Central and South Sussex CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 96

2 thoughts:

1) ‘lying flat’, or even ‘recining’ certainly at an angle of less than 45 degrees, is NEITHER ‘sitting’ nor ‘standing’ so is not an ‘adjustment’ to enable the claimant to do either—whether it is reasonable or not.

2) I think that the burden of proof must be on the adjudicating authority to identify an adjustment and establish that it is reasonable in this case and apply across a range of appropriate employments rather than on the claimant to prove that there is no conceivable reasonable adjustment.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

paulmoorhouse - 29 October 2013 04:11 PM

2 thoughts:

1) ‘lying flat’, or even ‘recining’ certainly at an angle of less than 45 degrees, is NEITHER ‘sitting’ nor ‘standing’ so is not an ‘adjustment’ to enable the claimant to do either—whether it is reasonable or not.

2) I think that the burden of proof must be on the adjudicating authority to identify an adjustment and establish that it is reasonable in this case and apply across a range of appropriate employments rather than on the claimant to prove that there is no conceivable reasonable adjustment.

I agree.  And.

It was the duty to make adjustments in s6 of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 which opened the door to this approach being used in conjunction with reg 27 Of the IFW Regs.  S20 of the Equality Act 2010 (which repealed the DDA) does the same thing for reg 29 of the ESA Regs.  I agree there is a tension in the case law between the purely functional approach and the ‘nod to the workplace’ approach.  However, I think that there is a distinction between the concept of reasonable adjustments and the use of aids or appliances. 

Reasonable adjustments are aimed at the needs of a particular individual and what can or cannot be achieved on his behalf.  The standing and sitting descriptor is the only one that refers to the workplace and the idea of reasonable adjustments has more resonance here mainly because language of the other descriptors lends itself far more readily to a purely functional approach.  However, in this descriptor reasonable adjustments is wide enough to embrace the question of whether an aid or appliance could be used.  But, for all of the descriptors the dictum of The UT in CE/1217/2011, cited by Ken, holds good.

“If the claimant does not use a particular type of aid or appliance and one has not been prescribed or recommended, then the decision maker or First-tier Tribunal is entitled to take the view that the claimant should be assessed as if using one, but only if one is normally used by people in that situation acting reasonably in all the circumstances and it would be reasonable for the claimant to do the same.”

In my view this is a different matter from the notion of reasonable adjustments as it is not confined to the needs of the particular individual but to a class of individuals and whether the particular individual can be brought within that class.  It is up to a DM or tribunal to make it clear exactly what criteria and why they are applying to the claimant for any or all of the circumstances highlighted above which are raised on his case.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/20

Bryan R
forum member

Folkestone Welfare Union

Send message

Total Posts: 233

I think another thing to take into account is HSE’s take on ‘reasonable adjustment’ in this way you’d get a ‘real world workplace’ view and if it could or could not be accommodated.

Also Employment Medical Advisory Service would probably have something to say about it too.

Tom H
forum member

Newcastle Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 783

In CIB/5654/97 the claimant used a special cushion in order to sit in the then requisite upright chair without arms.  Despite a similar IB regulation obliging the client to use reasonable aids/adaptations, the Commissioner held that to take into account the cushion would “essentially [alter] the nature of the acivity which is under assessment” (ie sitting).

Since then the statutory chair has, as we know, changed to include an adjustable chair (whatever that means).  I suspect, however, that CIB/5654/97 would not be decided the same way now (ie, a cushion arguably adjusts the sitting position in the same way an adjustable chair does).

But I think lying down is an altogether different proposition.  In my view lying down fundamentally changes the nature of the activity under consideration (ie, remaining at a workstation by standing or sitting or a combination of the two) so the principle of CIB/5654/97 would remain relevant. 

I also agree with post 6 above.