to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP Invitations after 28th October - the post code map etc

stevejohnsontrainer
forum member

@theflipchart ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 126

The Rightsnet news item on 23rd October confirms that PIP invitations after 28th October will be phased in accordance with a ‘post code map’. The map divides the country into four ‘Lots’, which describe the new phasing, area by area (could not see any dates for the Lots).

Does this mean that after 28th October you can still safely seek a DLA review, assuming you are not in an affected Lot? Para 5 of Memo ADM 14/13 seems to suggest no. If that is correct, what is the point of the post code map?

Until this is clarified, I wonder if we should be advising existing DLA claimants to sit tight.

bigbill
forum member

Dumfries Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 127

This http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24680366 suggest under COC that only post code areas effected from October will change to PIP if reporting a change to DLA award.

stevejohnsontrainer
forum member

@theflipchart ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 126

Thanks Bill,

The Disability Rights UK web site also seems to agree with the BBC article you kindly directed me to. I have not yet had a chance to look at the relevant regs that support the ‘Lots’ approach, but I think the DWP needs to very quickly update the PIP Toolkit section of Gov.com, which is vague to misleading on this important matter.

If claimants wrongly fail to seek DLA revisions (due to a misplaced fear that they are now subject to a PIP invitation), and that in turns leads to detriment, I believe the DWP should face that music. I of course realise that it might be difficult to prove what improved DLA you might have got HAD you sought the revision in the first place.

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 510

Can anyone confirm that it is now still safe for claimants to request a DLA supersession until further notice (except in Wales/Midlands)? This seems to be the implication of news coverage but it seems unsatisfactory to rely on that over something so important.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1966

It’s all hideously vague. If you’re in a region that’s shaded in on the ‘post code map’ you’re a PIP case, and if not you stay on DLA, it would appear. DWP materials so far have not been helpful. The amendment regs say -

““relevant date” means the date, specified by the Secretary of State in relation to any category of DLA entitled person, from which the Secretary of State is satisfied that satisfactory arrangements will be in place to assess the entitlement of persons in that category to personal independence payment;”;
(b)after paragraph (3) add— .
“(4) As soon as practicable after specifying a relevant date in relation to any category of DLA entitled person, the Secretary of State must publish, in such manner as the Secretary of State considers appropriate, information sufficient to enable any DLA entitled person to ascertain the relevant date, if any, which applies in their case.”.

Does the SoS believe a map on a website constitutes ‘information sufficient (etc)’? I don’t. Perhaps claimants should be calling on their MPs to demand better information.

The true rationale is still unclear, though most people have guessed that the truth is that Atos just aren’t ready to start.

[ Edited: 28 Oct 2013 at 11:32 am by Andrew Dutton ]
David Holcombe
forum member

Chest, Heart and Stroke Welfare Rights Adviser, Citizens Advice and Rights Fife,

Send message

Total Posts: 26

MrFinch - 28 October 2013 10:10 AM

Can anyone confirm that it is now still safe for claimants to request a DLA supersession until further notice (except in Wales/Midlands)? This seems to be the implication of news coverage but it seems unsatisfactory to rely on that over something so important.

The PIP Toolkit now does seem to indicate this:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/252770/timetable-for-pip-replacing-dla-slides.pdf

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1966

Thanks for that. I still think the information is poorly presented and messy.

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 510

Brilliant, thanks.

S.Murphy
forum member

Area benefit officer - Kent County Council Social Services

Send message

Total Posts: 38

Hi all,

Just to alert you all that the situation with claimants who have turned 16 after 7/10/13 appears to be a bit messy. From the some email correspondence I’ve been copied into it appears that in the postcodes selected to start on the 28/10/13 the DWP intend to migrate those children who turned 16 between 8/10/13 and 27/10/13 using the discretion to select claimants from reg 3(1), the reason being that child claimants in that cohort have been being sent ‘warm-up’ literature for the last couple of months.

I’ve asked our DWP partnership officer what is the situation for those who turned 16 after 7/10/13 who are not in the postcodes not currently selected and will update when I get a response. Presumably they have also been in receipt of ‘warm-up’ literature.

As I see it the DWP may extend current awards and presumably prioritise for PIP migration once the date is set, or if that date could realistically be sometime away might start the normal DLA renewal process. Either way it looks like outside of the postcodes it should be possible to apply for a DLA supersession for any claimant over the age of 16 under the amended regs.

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 471

S.Murphy - 28 October 2013 04:05 PM

I’ve asked our DWP partnership officer what is the situation for those who turned 16 after 7/10/13 who are not in the postcodes not currently selected and will update when I get a response. Presumably they have also been in receipt of ‘warm-up’ literature.

Had a query today re DLA award due to end when young person is 16 on 6 December. They had the “warm up” literature, nothing since from either PIP or DLA. Mother rang DLA who said nothing to do with them, so she rang PIP who told her to ring back on her daughter’s 16th birthday as they couldn’t speak to her before that…...

I rang DLA and the chap who answered spoke to their operations dept who said any under 16s who have had any PIP letters will eventually get their invitation at some unspecified date and the DLA awards will be automatically extended until a PIP decision is made and they will not be sending out renewal forms, and this applies wherever the young person lives.

Which may be all fine and dandy if the DLA extensions actually happen but it would also be nice if they let the claimants/appointees know this. The mum here thought she would have to hand back her Motability car on 6 December.

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

Responding to question in parliament yesterday, Minister for Disabled People Mike Penning said -

’... approximately 14,400 letters have been issued to claimants approaching their 16th birthday. These letters tell the parent/guardian that the young person will need to claim PIP at 16 and that DWP will write to them to explain how to do this. It makes it clear that PIP cannot be claimed until 16 and that we will make sure DLA payments continue while we decide if they are entitled to PIP.

During the initial phase of natural reassessment, any child receiving DLA in Wales, west midlands, east midlands and East Anglia (approximately 23% of the case load) will receive an invitation to claim PIP soon after their 16th birthday. Children receiving DLA outside of those areas of scope will receive a letter and DLA claim pack to either renew their DLA or review their entitlement.’

here’s a link -

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmhansrd/cm131112/text/131112w0003.htm#13111282000106

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 471

ros - 13 November 2013 05:39 PM

Responding to question in parliament yesterday, Minister for Disabled People Mike Penning said -

During the initial phase of natural reassessment, any child receiving DLA in Wales, west midlands, east midlands and East Anglia (approximately 23% of the case load) will receive an invitation to claim PIP soon after their 16th birthday. Children receiving DLA outside of those areas of scope will receive a letter and DLA claim pack to either renew their DLA or review their entitlement.’

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmhansrd/cm131112/text/131112w0003.htm#13111282000106

Just confirms what a mess it all is. One hand doesn’t know and doesn’t want to know what the other hand is doing.

Jon Shaw
forum member

Welfare Rights Service, CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 98

Rosie W - 14 November 2013 09:57 AM
ros - 13 November 2013 05:39 PM

Just confirms what a mess it all is. One hand doesn’t know and doesn’t want to know what the other hand is doing.

I have to say that it is hard to read into this answer anything definite relating to those who turned 16 between 7 October and 27 October. My view is that there is a problem for some people who turned 16 in that window, but I don’t want to point it out, if the folks at DLA towers are just paying DLA and inviting renewal claims. Feel free to email me at jshaw AT SYMBOL cpagscotland.org.uk if you have any cases where there are problems and want to discuss what you might be able to do about it.

I’ve already discussed it in two cases, so in a worst case scenario I’ll only get another 14,398 emails…

Jon

[EDITED FOR SPELLING]

[ Edited: 15 Nov 2013 at 01:46 pm by Jon Shaw ]
Jon Shaw
forum member

Welfare Rights Service, CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 98