to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

DHP

roecab
forum member

Welfare benefits supervisor - Roehampton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 465

We have had a client wanting assistance claiming DHP. An adviser checked a Shelter factsheet that states cannot apply for DHP unless you get full HB as your income is too high to qualify for the maximum?

I have checked the CPAG handbook, as well as the CAB advisernet and cannot find any reference to this.

Any opinions welcomed.

Inverclyde HSCP Advice Services
forum member

Inverclyde Council

Send message

Total Posts: 142

Sorry - can’t understand that either. You must be getting some Housing Benefit to get a DHP, but no requirement for full HB - do you have a link to the Shelter Guidance?

Different Local Authorities apply DHPs slightly differently, but the updated guidance that should be followed is here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/184207/discretionary-housing-payments-guide.pdf

Exclusions are listed in Appendix A

roecab
forum member

Send message

Phil,

It states cannot get if:

making up for a shortfall that is due to
your income being too high to get the
maximum housing benefit

From, see attached link I also note that it was updated this month?

Thanks you your opinion, and link, as I think it is wrong.

File Attachments

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2914

That is indeed wrong.  That is one of the two purposes for which the original “core” DHP scheme was designed.  DHPs were supposed to be for:

- cases where the claim was subject to one of the private sector rent restriction mechanisms
- cases where the ordinary means-test produced a harsh outcome because of some personal factor

Since April 2011 DWP has been increasing DHP funding in the expectation that authorities will use most of it to alleviate various welfare reforms, like benefit cap and bedroom tax.  But the “core” DHP funding remains notionally there for perennial hardship cases.

Indeed you cannot get a DHP if your eligible rent is not restricted in any way and you don’t have a means-tested contribution to make - either now or in the past (some authorities may be quite accommodating when it comes to scraping to together a one-off lump sum DHP from periods in the past when there was a shortfall, even if there isn’t one now)

tony benjamin
forum member

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 32

Shelter has been alerted and informs us that it recognises that the bullet is misleading as currently worded, and that the factsheet will be amended.

roecab
forum member

Send message

Tony,

Thanks I spoke to Shelter, and they said the same.

I didn’t want to call them until I had run it by other people. It seems that it should say if you don’t get any HB due to excess income, which makes perfect sense.

Cheers and thanks for people’s thoughts.

tony benjamin
forum member

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 32