Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Domiciilary hearing

1 2 > 

ROBBO
forum member

Welfare rights team - Stockport Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 334

In all the years I’ve trudged down to our local venue, I’ve not had the opportunity to go along to a domiciliary hearing - until now.

Does HMCTS have any info they send out, to warn people what they need to do to host such an event?

Obviously, it would make sense to buy enough Danish Pastries for everyone, but does anyone have any other more practical or judicially correct tips?

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

No secret to any of this.  Tribunal and clerk just roll up to punter’s house.  No need for tea and ices.  Tribunal plonk themselves on punter’s couch and hearing takes place in the usual manner.  Punter then retires to his kitchen/bedroom, etc.  Tribunal stay and reach decision.  Clerk goes and fetches punter back.  Tribunal gives decision then leaves.

grant
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 71

I agrre with Paul save that in my (limited experience of domiciliaries) the Tribunal sends the decision by post and does not even give a verbal decision for security reasons although, I suppose, much would depend on the context.

ROBBO
forum member

Welfare rights team - Stockport Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 334

Thanks for the replies.  Sounds like not much to worry about. 

Still got one question though.  Do you have to turn the telly off?

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Sitting there skinning up isn’t recommended either.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

LOL!!

Of course, you could always slip something into the danish pastries.

P.E.T.E
forum member

Head of Welfare Rights at Barnsley MBC.

Send message

Total Posts: 104

From my visiting days….......

A large dog giving a loud greeting at the door as you ring the bell.
Small child with very sticky fingers trying to extract everything from the briefcase while your back is turned.
Fire on full blast with temperatures in the high 80s while you sit in your winter weather gear;
and a very delighted, and grateful, client pleased with the fact that the service offered home visits for those unable to get out.

Kurt12
forum member

Welfare Rights Service, Tameside MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 27

Where the appellant cannot readily leave the room in which the appeal is heard (as they are just too unwell to easily move from being on the sofa, for example) I have known a tribunal to go back out to their waiting car to do their deliberations.  Not being overheard or interupted whilst they are arriving at a decision seemed to be their main concern at this stage. 

Keeping the pets and kids at bay during the hearing is surely a good idea where this is achievable.  And of course you turn the TV off!

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

ROBBO - 20 September 2013 01:20 PM

Thanks for the replies.  Sounds like not much to worry about. 

Still got one question though.  Do you have to turn the telly off?

I would LOVE to go to a Domicilairy Hearing with Jeremy Kyle on in the background, anything the appellant says would immediately look rational and believable!!

Lorraine Cooper
forum member

Family Support, Barnardo's, Merthyr Tydfil

Send message

Total Posts: 132

I’ve done enough other home visits over the years to know that no-one ever turns Jeremy Kyle off.

And you missed the cat sitting on your paperwork.

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

Lorraine Cooper - 25 September 2013 08:42 AM

I’ve done enough other home visits over the years to know that no-one ever turns Jeremy Kyle off.

And you missed the cat sitting on your paperwork.

Dont get me started on the subject of cats, dogs another domestic animals, I recall all too well the occaision when a puppy peed all over my leg while I was talking to its owner! I know Council workers are not held in very great esteem but this was a step too far.

Ali D
forum member

NHAS housing/debt caseworker - Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 28

I can remember an incident back when I only did housing law when I had to do a home visit to a client to photograph disrepair in a flat. A large pit bull style dog leapt up and snatched my camera from my hands in mid shot. The owner’s explanation was that the dog had mistaken it for a gun…......

P.E.T.E
forum member

Send message

On the other hand

I remember one delightful hot summer afternoon when I was to vistit a frail old woman in her daughters house to complete an Attendance Allowance form.  They had gathered themselves under the shade of a tree in the garden and as I started I was offered a small glass of beer to drink as we progressed.  Bliss

Brian JB
forum member

Advisor - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 472

P.E.T.E - 25 September 2013 12:22 PM

On the other hand

I remember one delightful hot summer afternoon when I was to vistit a frail old woman in her daughters house to complete an Attendance Allowance form.  They had gathered themselves under the shade of a tree in the garden and as I started I was offered a small glass of beer to drink as we progressed.  Bliss

In contrast to a visit in the 80s, when I worked for the DWP, to a woman who had somehow wired her electricity supply directly to the street lighting, taking the whole street out - huge “electricity direct” deductions requested by company. As I walked in, her friend pushed a cigarette in my mouth and said “you’ll need this!!”. Not quite so blissful.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

The ones that drove me mad in the days when we had a HV service were the ‘housebound’ clients who had obviously made a miraculous recovery and gone out.

I used the enjoy the endless cups of tea and biscuits and being shown photos of the family, etc, though, and it was always fun poking through someone else’s house.

P.E.T.E
forum member

Send message

So who will be the first to write the book - “It shoudn’t happen to a Welfare Rights Welf”