to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Draft regs

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 471

The Social Security, Child Support, Vaccine Damage and Other Payments (Decisions and Appeals) (Amendment) Regulations 2013
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2013/9780111540053/pdfs/ukdsi_9780111540053_en.pdf

I seem to have missed these - looks as if they were laid in June and are still in draft although apparently approved by resolution in both Houses. I was wondering when they were going to come up with the regs to extend mandatory revision beyond PIP and “new style” JSA/ESA. They managed to sneak it past me.. (not difficult).

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 471

Comments from Esther McVey (made to Delegated Legislation Committee on 3 September):

“The right hon. Lady talked about other sources of benefit and funding for the claimant if they are not getting ESA. They would get JSA, and, quite rightly, should they need their conditionality reduced to claim JSA, that would happen. We appreciate that some people might have disabilities but still be able to work, and so will be subject to finding a job, although that may not be the job they wanted in the first instance. However, they could have the ability to work. If so, the support is there, but those claimants would have reduced conditionality. Again, it is about having a tailor-made service. Those claimants would be dealing with the disability employment adviser and all the benefit officers, who would have great knowledge about what those claimants could or could not do.”

So that’s alright then. And to think I was getting concerned that people might have problems signing on in these circumstances.

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 510

Comments from Esther McVey (made to Delegated Legislation Committee on 3 September):

“The right hon. Lady talked about other sources of benefit and funding for the claimant if they are not getting ESA. They would get JSA, and, quite rightly, should they need their conditionality reduced to claim JSA, that would happen. We appreciate that some people might have disabilities but still be able to work, and so will be subject to finding a job, although that may not be the job they wanted in the first instance. However, they could have the ability to work. If so, the support is there, but those claimants would have reduced conditionality. Again, it is about having a tailor-made service. Those claimants would be dealing with the disability employment adviser and all the benefit officers, who would have great knowledge about what those claimants could or could not do.”

So that’s alright then. And to think I was getting concerned that people might have problems signing on in these circumstances.

I thought this was supposed to be the whole point of the WRAG of ESA? So is ESA just officially a benefit for people incapable of any work now? The people in charge seem very confused.