to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP decisions

< 1 2 3 4 > 

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Does anyone have a client who has actually undergone an HCP assessment for PIP yet? None of mine have.

stefrisk
forum member

Sleaford CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 22

Nope. We have clients who have had letters trying to arrange them, venue and access issues, long waits for the promised HVs but an actual appointment? Not holding my breath ........ Should we start to be afraid yet?
In fact our caseworker thinks it may be a good idea not to start the DLA to PIP conversions any time soon given the apparent delay. Valid point ......

[ Edited: 20 Sep 2013 at 12:52 am by stefrisk ]
Tom H
forum member

Newcastle Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 783

“There’s a man goin’ ‘round takin’ names”

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

1964 - 19 September 2013 02:36 PM

Does anyone have a client who has actually undergone an HCP assessment for PIP yet? None of mine have.

One of mine had an appointment early next month. Cl in Wolverhampton, assessment centre in Birmingham so we requested a Home Visit instead.

Hopefully Capita will be a bit quicker off the mark than ATOS seem to be.

efloyd
forum member

Financial & social inclusion officer - Isos Housing, Newcastle

Send message

Total Posts: 89

One of my client’s PIP story….application form ordered on 08/04….medical 05/06….refused 17/09. I’m waiting for her to send the decision letter to me. DWP have said they will “try to contact her after 20/09”. I will be doing a written mandatory reconsideration when the letter arrives.

I have another client who had a domiciliary PIP medical yesterday. His is a better case for PIP than the first one I did.

Another 10 or 11 claims at different stages (most awaiting medicals!)

Phil

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

efloyd - 20 September 2013 09:35 AM

One of my client’s PIP story….application form ordered on 08/04….medical 05/06….refused 17/09. I’m waiting for her to send the decision letter to me. DWP have said they will “try to contact her after 20/09”. I will be doing a written mandatory reconsideration when the letter arrives.

I have another client who had a domiciliary PIP medical yesterday. His is a better case for PIP than the first one I did.

Another 10 or 11 claims at different stages (most awaiting medicals!)

Phil

Out of interest - does anyone know whether there would be a tactical advantage in requesting recon over the phone immediately and following it up in writing?

I suppose this depends on whether the reconsiderations are completed in roughly the order in which they are received?

Green
forum member

General adviser, Manchester Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 11

I’m same - no decision on any of my many claims. I too have started complaining to ATOS as I am told it is them holding things up.

efloyd
forum member

Financial & social inclusion officer - Isos Housing, Newcastle

Send message

Total Posts: 89

tbidmead - That would be my favourite approach but my client was having some difficulty with the letter and she lives too far away to do a quick visit.

The letter seems to state the reasons for refusal/granting each “descriptor” but when a descriptor is seen to apply, she says it doesn’t give the number of points awarded. I really want to see this letter!

I’m also concerned about what clients will say when the DWP call happens!

Phil

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

efloyd - 20 September 2013 12:50 PM

I’m also concerned about what clients will say when the DWP call happens!

I think I’m more concerned about what the DWP will say in those calls! Especially given the duplicitous nature of the post-refusal ESA calls

sara lewis
forum member

Welfare rights service -Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 52

Far be it for me to actually defend ATOS, however… Derbyshire is split about 50/50 between ATOS and Capita for assesments and we have seen no decisions from either area.  From what other posts have said it seems to be the same position nationwide, so therefore my finger would have to point at the DWP.

JoW
forum member

Financial inclusion manager - Wythenshawe Community Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 343

I’ve received my first PIP decision! For a claim made in April so only took 6 months! I had made a complaint about the length of time it had taken to decide the claim.

They decided it on the claim form and 2 GP letters that I included with the claim. Claimant has severe depression and agorophobia. She was awarded Enhanced Rate Daily Living and Enhanced Mobility.

The decision letter has a summary of the “Decision Makers Reasoning” and then lists the points they have accepted.

Thanks

stefrisk
forum member

Sleaford CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 22

sara lewis - 20 September 2013 01:36 PM

Far be it for me to actually defend ATOS, however… Derbyshire is split about 50/50 between ATOS and Capita for assesments and we have seen no decisions from either area.  From what other posts have said it seems to be the same position nationwide, so therefore my finger would have to point at the DWP.[/quote

We are a 100% Capita area and have not seen an assessment yet, let alone a decision. We have had several clients receive a letter giving a five day window for a visit, which clients are taking to mean they have to stay in over the five day period to await said knock on the door. It is only when they phone to complain on the fifth day that nobody has come that they are told they should have rung to make an appointment during that five day window. Nowhere in the notification letter is this mentioned. Crystal ball anyone? By the time they phone, there are of course no appointments left and they have to hurry up and wait for notification of the next five day window. We have also seen an instance where the PIP2 has a date weeks after the PIP1 telephone application was made. Hopefully this is a one-off.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

A client of mine, claimed in April, has recently been awarded enhanced mobility and standard daily living.  He completed the form himself.  A rather generous award if I might say so and I’m willing to bet that in a few years time after PIP is well bedded in awards will become less generous.  Haven’t we been here before?

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

just out of interest, do you know if he had an assessment or if it was a decision on the papers?

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 471

I have a client who had an assessment at home on 6 August and another for whom we sent the PIP2 on 23 July. Neither have had a decision and the latter hasn’t even had an assessment - PIP have confirmed they passed his PIP2 to Atos on 5 August. PIP just keep repeating the line that us or claimants should ring Atos to chase them up. This is an unacceptable level of service. Add to that the fact that special rules claims are taking 6 weeks plus for a decision and something is going badly wrong somewhere.