Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

‘Secret’ PIP assessment venues

1 2 3 > 

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

OK so the title is a bit inaccurate but did meet the wordcount.

We made a FOI request for the names of the ATOS sub-contractors and assessment venues for our area.

The DWPs response was to provide the names of the sub-contractors but not to disclose the venues because:

“The details of all of the locations where face-to-face consultations will take place, is being witheld as it falls under the exemption of section 22 of the Freedom of Information Act. This excemption covers information intended for future publication. In applying this exemption the department has balanced the public interets in witholding the information against the public interest in disclosing the information”.

Interestingly when I originally asked this directly of ATOS (by email) I received a very swift telephone call in which ATOS stated that they had been advised by the DWP not to diclose the location of venues because of ‘concern for the safety of staff and venues because of potential protests’. ATOS agreed to identify the local towns in which the assessments would take place - but did not phone back with this info. So we are none the wiser!

So its not in the interests of claimants and their advisers to know where the assessments will take place? - that really helps vulnerable claimants prepare for their assessment or advisers to determine whether they will need additional support to attend (either with travelling arrangements or support on the day) or to request a home assessment etc! Given that many of those claimants will already have experienced the stress of atttending a WCA.

Postcode lottery? DWP disclosed that the assessment venue will be allocated to a claimant based on postcode and travel to the venue, not sub-contractor.

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

Peter Turville - 28 August 2013 01:22 PM

We made a FOI request for the names of the ATOS sub-contractors and assessment venues for our area.

The DWPs response was to provide the names of the sub-contractors but not to disclose the venues because:

“The details of all of the locations where face-to-face consultations will take place, is being witheld as it falls under the exemption of section 22 of the Freedom of Information Act. This excemption covers information intended for future publication. In applying this exemption the department has balanced the public interets in witholding the information against the public interest in disclosing the information”.

Interestingly when I originally asked this directly of ATOS (by email) I received a very swift telephone call in which ATOS stated that they had been advised by the DWP not to diclose the location of venues because of ‘concern for the safety of staff and venues because of potential protests’. ATOS agreed to identify the local towns in which the assessments would take place - but did not phone back with this info. So we are none the wiser!

So its not in the interests of claimants and their advisers to know where the assessments will take place? - that really helps vulnerable claimants prepare for their assessment or advisers to determine whether they will need additional support to attend (either with travelling arrangements or support on the day) or to request a home assessment etc! Given that many of those claimants will already have experienced the stress of atttending a WCA.

Postcode lottery? DWP disclosed that the assessment venue will be allocated to a claimant based on postcode and travel to the venue, not sub-contractor.

Very interesting. I have heard of one assessment being arranged in our area (Bristol) so far - location being an oseopaths/physiotherapists building in the city centre.

seand
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Wheatley Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 302

A DWP officer up here in Scotland who attends various liason meetings claims that they don’t know where the assessment venues are and was encouraging us WRO’s to pass on details to her when we find out from clients…

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

This is getting more ridiculous by the minute. It’s beginning to remind me of those illegal acid house raves of the 90’s, where you had to ring a number at the last moment to obtain the exact location. Either that, or Avalon. Venue appears ghost-like through the mist and then vanishes, never more to be seen.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

“It’s beginning to remind me of those illegal acid house raves of the 90’s, where you had to ring a number at the last moment to obtain the exact location.”

Is that a confession or an observation?  I think we should be told.

neilbateman
forum member

Welfare Rights Author, Trainer & Consultant

Send message

Total Posts: 443

Peter Turville - 28 August 2013 01:22 PM

Quite extraordinary and an insight into the DWP’s introspective, over-defensive and secretive organisational culture.  Are you going to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office?

Tom H
forum member

Newcastle Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 783

1964 - 29 August 2013 09:17 AM

This is getting more ridiculous by the minute. It’s beginning to remind me of those illegal acid house raves of the 90’s, where you had to ring a number at the last moment to obtain the exact location. Either that, or Avalon. Venue appears ghost-like through the mist and then vanishes, never more to be seen.

Made me laugh.  Good analogy.  People take their drugs along to those assessments.

forum member

Send message

nevip - 29 August 2013 09:57 AM

“It’s beginning to remind me of those illegal acid house raves of the 90’s, where you had to ring a number at the last moment to obtain the exact location.”

Is that a confession or an observation?  I think we should be told.

I plead the 5th amendment. Anyway, I never inhaled.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

1964 - 29 August 2013 10:32 AM

I plead the 5th amendment. Anyway, I never inhaled.

But did you swallow? :-0

On a serious note… I’ve just spoken to Capita who told one of my clients his face to face would be conducted at “CLINIC”... On further enquiry the adviser was gracious enough to tell me it’s in Birmingham and is a fair old hike for anyone trying to get there on public transport.

Apparently thery’ve clinics in Brum, Swansea, Nottingham and Cardiff. That’s it…

Thankfully they seem quite willing to do a home visit; I wonder whether that will continue, and who will be visiting…

nevip
forum member

Send message

“I plead the 5th amendment”.  Then you shall go on the blacklist.  What is your name?  Cue, Dads Army sketch.

forum member

Send message

nevip - 29 August 2013 11:43 AM

“I plead the 5th amendment”.  Then you shall go on the blacklist.  What is your name?  Cue, Dads Army sketch.

Don’t tell them where the venue is, Pike!

nevip
forum member

Send message

Chortle.

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

neilbateman - 29 August 2013 10:12 AM

Quite extraordinary and an insight into the DWP’s introspective, over-defensive and secretive organisational culture.  Are you going to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office?

Yes! One really couldn’t make this stuff up - perhaps DWPs response (and the issues around obtaining PIP paper claim forms, inability to give a definition of ‘vulnerable claimants’ etc) is just a sketch for Yes Minister (and I assume Neil that you’ve met a few over the years?)?

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

nevip - 29 August 2013 12:13 PM

Chortle.

[a well known town in Lancs] “Pike, you stupid boy”

Allan Ramsay
forum member

Income maximisation - City of Edinburgh Council

Send message

Total Posts: 81

I was at a meeting with a DWP representative yesterday.  She confirmed they still had no idea where the assessment centres are.  To her credit, she agreed it is ridiculous.

For anyone in Edinburgh… there’s assessment centres at South Gyle and Haymarket.

Cheers

neilbateman
forum member

Welfare Rights Author, Trainer & Consultant

Send message

Total Posts: 443

Peter Turville - 29 August 2013 12:14 PM

Yes! One really couldn’t make this stuff up - perhaps DWPs response (and the issues around obtaining PIP paper claim forms, inability to give a definition of ‘vulnerable claimants’ etc) is just a sketch for Yes Minister (and I assume Neil that you’ve met a few over the years?)?

I’ve met, I think, 12 of them over the years plus one prime minister.  Was once mistaken for another prime minister by a group of Italian tourists outside the House of Commons.  I think they were Berlusconi fans.

On a serious note, responses to FOI requests which have the potential for publicity comment are often reviewed by DWP Ministers’ Special Advisers.