Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Anticipated appeals for PIP

tony benjamin
forum member

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 32

Esther McVey, Minister for Disabled People, says that -
‘Based on our experiences with disability living allowance and employment and support allowance, following a PIP decision being made we are expecting an appeal rate of 12.5% for new claims and 40% for reassessed cases. These forecasts are necessarily pessimistic so we can ensure Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunal Service have sufficient capacity.’
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmhansrd/cm130717/text/130717w0002.htm#13071797000048

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Is it just me or do those figures look ludicrously low rather than pessimistic?

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

Mike Hughes - 23 July 2013 09:25 AM

I agree , but the figures are for appeals, not decisions to remove, reduce or not allow the claim in the first place and may reflect the ministers confidence in the fact that with relatively little advice and support available and no legal aid there may be far fewer people able to actually follow an appeal through.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Pete C - 23 July 2013 10:57 AM
Mike Hughes - 23 July 2013 09:25 AM

I agree , but the figures are for appeals, not decisions to remove, reduce or not allow the claim in the first place and may reflect the ministers confidence in the fact that with relatively little advice and support available and no legal aid there may be far fewer people able to actually follow an appeal through.

Maybe so. Still think they’re ludicrously low. Awful ot of clients who have run into problems with ESA who have been surviving on their DLA. Take that away as well and they’re going to engage with challenging the decision. Granted many will fall through the cracks.