to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DLA - PIP conversion ref Mobility for over 65s

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Just a quick query about PIP for over 65s.

I currently have a client who is 70 years of age, and has had his High Rate Mobility reinstated indefinitely following a tribunal.
His renewal was due, HRM removed and we appealed.

As we all know indefinite DLA claimants will be reassessed for PIP between oct 2015-2018.

If a client who is over 65 has an indefinite Mobility award, and their DLA claim ends due to PIP conversion will they be considered for Mobility or even PIP, or will they be asked to claim Attendance allowance as a new claim. Would any kind of Transitional protection apply here.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Send message

Just answering my own question!

Reg 27 (1) and (4) seems to cover it.

Mobility will continue, as long as it was in place beforehand and any supersessions are done within 12 months of original mobility still being in place.

I assume a DLA to PIP conversion will count as a supersession, Unless you guys can tell me otherwise.

[ Edited: 10 Jul 2013 at 12:51 pm by benefitsadviser ]
Jon Shaw
forum member

Welfare Rights Service, CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 98

On current plans, only DLA claimants under 65 on 8 April 2013 will be reassessed for PIP. See CPAG p588, and Regs 3(2) and 4(1) of the PIP (Transitional Provisions) Regulations 2013 No. 387

Jon

benefitsadviser
forum member

Send message

Thanks Jon.

Appreciate it.

Oldestrocker
forum member

Principal - Forensic Accountants, Canterbury

Send message

Total Posts: 100

benefitsadviser - 10 July 2013 10:31 AM

Just a quick query about PIP for over 65s.

I currently have a client who is 70 years of age, and has had his High Rate Mobility reinstated indefinitely following a tribunal.
His renewal was due, HRM removed and we appealed.

As we all know indefinite DLA claimants will be reassessed for PIP between oct 2015-2018.

If a client who is over 65 has an indefinite Mobility award, and their DLA claim ends due to PIP conversion will they be considered for Mobility or even PIP, or will they be asked to claim Attendance allowance as a new claim. Would any kind of Transitional protection apply here.

There is no conversion at present for those who are 65 on the 8th April 2013.

However I am aware of one case where the claimant who is 68 and his DLA recently came up for renewal (HRM & MRC). He was told by the DWP that he will have to claim PIP instead of DLA!

Debra White
forum member

Welfare Rights Unit, PO Box 529, Swansea, SA8 4YA

Send message

Total Posts: 3

If a person on HRM and over 65 on 8.4.13 reported a change of circumstances to try for the care component after October 2013 would it be DLA care or a PIP conversion? I just read the regs. mentioned above and I cant get my head around it?