to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DLA Change of circs

Posh
forum member

Welfare Benefits for Over 60's, Alnwick CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 8

Can I run this past you to make sure I am not going mad?

My Cl is receiving DLA LR-C. Cl’s DLA was due to end on 11/6/13.

Cl diagnosed with terminal illness and review was requested on 30/05/13. The letter received from DCS states that the enclosed DLA434 needed to be returned by 27/06/2013.

DLA434 was completed and returned with DS1500 on 10/6/2013.

Change of circs not been processed and when DCS contacted, they are treating it as a new claim for PIP.

I have been remonstrating with DCS this morning that the Cl should continue to be on DLA with HR-C and not a new PIP claim. As far as I was aware, change of circs on existing DLA claims will not be transferred to PIP until October. Despite whatever benefit he is going to be awarded, over 3 weeks have passed and this has not been sorted.

Can anyone confirm if my line of thought is correct?

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1967

I think you’re right and I don’t think DWP can justify this one jot. Please keep us all posted, as I think the DLA/PIP claim problems are only just beginning…..

Altered Chaos
forum member

Operations & Advice Manager - Citizens Advice Taunton

Send message

Total Posts: 427

I concur, the DLA supersession was requested and returned/received by the benefit centre whilst the existing DLA claim was still live therefore this is a simple DLA supersession and the DBC is wrong.

MaggieB
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 272

We have already had problems with claim form dated prior to 10th June but submitted after. 

Blackpool DBU wrote to client saying claim will be processed as claim for PIP.  Phone call to Blackpool achieved nothing, they insist all claims received after 10th are PIP claims.

The ‘date of claim’ thing didn’t seem to mean anything to the person we spoke to…currently following up with DCS customer service

RMR
forum member

Senior welfare & benefits advisor - Sutton Borough CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 34

We were in touch with Belfast BC a few days after 10th June, as they had sent out a new claim form, dated 30th May, instead of change of circumstances form. We inquired as to if it would now be treated as a PIP claim, and was informed that a change of circumstances would not be treated as a PIP claim until Oct. 13

Posh
forum member

Welfare Benefits for Over 60's, Alnwick CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 8

Just to update you all…...

Claim was processed as a new claim for PIP. I escalated this issue through our partnership manager at the DWP and he forwarded it on as a priority complaint. Within a couple of days, we were told it had been reviewed by a senior decision maker, who advised they had made a mistake and should never have been treated as a claim for PIP and has now been rectified and treated as change of circs for DLA. The reason for the error they gave, was because all of the dates were so close together.

For such a simple thing, this has been so time consuming!!

PCLC
forum member

Benefits Supervisor - Plumstead Law Centre, London

Send message

Total Posts: 240

I am abit worried about all this - my client’s situation is she was on HRM plus MRC from 29/05/10 to 28/05/12/ All removed on renewal on 23/05/12. She asked for recon and was awarded LRC only, which she appealed - still waiting for Tribunal date.

She has got worse in interim and we are assisting with a supersession form, which will be sent in next week.

So I anticipate the same problems as in the previous posts - can anyone tell me where the 13/10/13 date comes from for change of circs to be treated as claim for PIP?

Many thanks!

tony pickering
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Derbyshire County Council, High Peak

Send message

Total Posts: 108

The attached info from DWP Toolkit site says it is from 7.10.13:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/timetable-for-pip-replacing-dla-slides.pdf

Tony

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

PCLC - 25 July 2013 11:24 AM

can anyone tell me where the 13/10/13 date comes from for change of circs to be treated as claim for PIP?

I think RMR was referring above to “October 2013”, not the 13th of October.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/387/made
Regulation 3 refers to change of circs “after 6th October 2013” leading to a PIP invitation.

RMR
forum member

Senior welfare & benefits advisor - Sutton Borough CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 34

Yes I did mean October 2013, sorry if I caused confusion

PCLC
forum member

Benefits Supervisor - Plumstead Law Centre, London

Send message

Total Posts: 240

Many thanks for clarifying.