to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Council Tax Discount - Student Exemption plus Second Adult Rebate

Louise Simmons
forum member

Student Welfare Adviser, Bucks Students Union

Send message

Total Posts: 3

I’m assisting a student (f/t) who as such qualifies for an exemption from Council Tax. Her sister who is not a student and is on JSA lives with her. The student is the sole named tennant on the property rental agreement. The student does not qualify for HB. Also, I have ascertained that the sister cannot claim HB given that she cannot satisfy the liability requirement. Similarly it would appear the sister cannot satisfy liability for CT due to the hierarchy of liability hence no CTB. But what about CT discount? The student has her 25% discount by merit of her exemption as a student/ household composition. Can the student claim second adult rebate for her sister to further reduce her bill? So far my searchings indicate you cannot apply for two sets of discount and the effect of the CT student exemption and / or Second Adult Rebate both equate to 25% in this scenario. Can anyone shed any further light?
Many thanks.

[ Edited: 17 Jun 2013 at 02:26 pm by Louise Simmons ]
HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2908

Depends on the local CTR scheme being run by the authority where the property is situated.  Quite a few authorities have scrapped 2AR completely.

If the authority has adopted the default scheme, or the part of the default scheme concerned with 2AR, there is a 100% rebate for a student who is prevented from having full exemption by the presence of a non-dep on JSA(ib).  It must be JSA(ib) though.

J Membery
forum member

Revenues and Benefits Manager, Aylesbury Vale DC

Send message

Total Posts: 134

2nd Adult Rebate (or to give it it’s proper name Alternative Maximum Council Tax Benefit) was scrapped along with other forms of CTB in April.

You really need to check with the LA concerned whether their reduction scheme incorporated some form of Alternative Maximum Council Tax Reduction for working age people and if so what the rules are.

Edit HBA posted whilst my post was in preparation.

Louise Simmons
forum member

Student Welfare Adviser, Bucks Students Union

Send message

Total Posts: 3

Many thanks for both of these replies that’s really helpful.

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

here’s a link to our council tax support resource which gives links to each local authority scheme so you can see what’s happening in your area -

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/toolkit/council_tax_support