Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Night Shelters

chris smith
forum member

HB Help, Sussex

Send message

Total Posts: 82

NIGHT SHELTERS

The decision that I lost in the upper tribunal about people in night shelters not being able to claim housing benefit has now been discussed in the House of Lords.

The key parts of the decision say that “a person who is allowed to stay overnight (for a charge) at a night shelter but is not allowed to remain there during the day and so has to leave in the morning taking all his belongings with him, and has no right to stay in any part of the night shelter or indeed right generally to stay there (in the sense that if he turns up late and the shelter is full he will be turned away), is not occupying a dwelling as his home” (paragraph 4)

Occupation of a dwelling as your home is a condition for entitlement to housing benefit.

If you are familiar with night shelters you will know that most of them conform to this model.

So I was surprised when the Secretary of State (in practice the DWP), who took part in the case, argued in their submission that this decision had no further implications for any other cases, but turned on the facts of this particular case.  The judge was convinced by this argument. Lord Freud repeated it in the House of Lords But, of course, the decision has considerable implications.

This argument was used to undermine the main thrust of my own submission, which was that there was nothing in the definition of a home which excluded this arrangement and benefit had been paid on accommodation which met these characteristics ever since the benefit system began.  I argued that these arrangements were formerly common and that if Parliament had wished to exclude them the regulations would have specifically said this.

With hindsight, I think that the DWP was keen to exclude a type of accommodation which would be very difficult to cater for under universal credit, although the subsequent exclusion of exempt accommodation has done their job for them in a different way.

So what possible solutions are there for providers?

Given that the decision emphasises that the decision only applies to the individual facts of the case it is important to find ways to differentiate what you are providing from what was provided in this case.

One possible solution would be to give residents a weekly licence which specifies that, providing that they behave in an acceptable manner and return each night by a certain time, they have the right to return each night.  You would have to be able to deliver on this commitment.

A locker in which they can store their property might help as well.

It would also be helpful if residents had the right to occupy an individual bed or cubicle, but this can be more difficult to organise.

Many local authorities are looking for any excuse to be able to continue housing benefit in this type of accommodation and will jump at the chance to differentiate your place from this case.

Where councils are not so keen, as in Salford, an organised presentation of claimants to the homeless person’s section may be in order.  Many councils do not meet their duties to the single homeless and many night shelter residents are likely to be in priority need.  But do expect to have to do a lot of advocacy.

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

tony benjamin
forum member

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 32

Patrick Butler in the Guardian writes that ministers are refusing to intervene despite the funding crisis facing Britain’s emergency winter night shelters continuing to grow… 
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/patrick-butler-cuts-blog/2013/jun/26/homeless-nightshelter-crisis-ministers-find-own-money

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

What a mess.

Let us start by saying something controversial…..

A first come, first served, one night stay in a converted hall, is simply not a suitable response to a rough sleeping problem, whether funded by HB or not.

I dont doubt the motivations of those trying to claim HB on this sort of service, there is probably nothing else available in thiose areas.

But is this really the best we as a society can do?

It sort of reminds me of those that defend any sort of work, however poorly regulated as better than no work at all.

In my view we must have some minimum emergency accommodation standards even for those who would otherwise sleep rough. By defending converted halls, first come, first served we are going to end up by driving standards down everywhere…...

I would find these sort of arrangemnts easier to justify, if these shelter arrangements were part of a longer term plan to get people off the streets. (NSNO) but I cant see that “a first come, first served basis” could ever do this. At the very least a client needs to be accommodated every night until a long term hostel bed becomes available.

Proper emergencty provision as part of a plan to get people off the streets. YES

First come. First served. One night only.  NO THANKS.

We need to advocate that HB should pay on emergency accommodation but only when we set a minimum threshold. And that cant be “first come first served” one night at a time, can it?

Just (I dont think its going to be popular…) my view.

Feel free to weigh in as always.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Martin

As someone who used to work with homeless teenagers in the 1980’s, I couldn’t agree with you more.  There has to be more to a homelessness strategy than just getting people off the streets.  The aim is to keep them off the streets and to provide ongoing stability and support.  I couldn’t care less how it’s funded.  Whether it’s through HB or through grants to housing organizations or charities makes no practical difference to the homeless.  On a cold and miserable night all they want is a warm meal and a warm bed and the knowledge that they will have the same tomorrow night and the night after that.  Simply being turned out onto the street in the morning not knowing where you will sleep that night is simply not good enough.  I know, I’ve been in that position, and more than once.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

You might also be interested in the enclosd report.

File Attachments

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3784

more from homeless link

‘After extensive conversations between homelessness organisations and the Government, DWP and DCLG have sent a note to councils which we hope will address an issue which, arguably, should probably never have become an issue in the first place ...’

http://homeless.org.uk/connect/blogs/team/nightshelter-update-law-unchanged

[Edited to update link]

[ Edited: 9 Aug 2013 at 12:23 pm by shawn mach ]
Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

shawn - 28 June 2013 10:41 AM

more from homeless link

‘After extensive conversations between homelessness organisations and the Government, DWP and DCLG have sent a note to councils which we hope will address an issue which, arguably, should probably never have become an issue in the first place ...’

http://homeless.org.uk/connect/blogs/team/nightshelter-update-law-hasn’t-changed

It is really clear.

“The Government believes that Housing Benefit can continue to be paid to
users of the majority of shelters so long as the person’s circumstances meet
the housing benefit rules.”

Robbie Spence
forum member

Independent benefits adviser and trainer

Send message

Total Posts: 116

shawn - 28 June 2013 10:41 AM

more from homeless link

http://homeless.org.uk/connect/blogs/team/nightshelter-update-law-hasn’t-changed

The Homeless Link link (!) seems to point to http://homeless.org.uk/news/homelessness-project-grabs-headlines-awards#.UgTBONLVDSs so see instead the rightsnet summary at http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/news/story/dwp-and-dclg-seek-to-address-misunderstandings-about-the-role-of-housing-be/

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3784

cheers robbie .... here’s the updated direct link to homeless link’s blog post ..

http://homeless.org.uk/connect/blogs/team/nightshelter-update-law-unchanged