Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

changes to rules on council tax discount for carers?

dereksi
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Contact a Family, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 47

Just noticed the following amendment regs regarding council tax discounts - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/725/made.

Althought the explanatory note refers to care workers, it appears to me that the amendments in question allow a live in carer (with the normal exceptions of a partner or parent of a child aged under 18) to be discounted if the cared for person is getting the middle rate of DLA care or any rate of Attendance Allowance, rather than restricting entitlement to high rate awards only.

Is my reading of this right? Suppose it would make sense given that carers of someone on either rate of the PIP daily component can be discounted.

Jane OP
forum member

The National Autistic Society, Welfare Rights, Nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 161

This is interesting, I agree with your reading - but if thats right it’s odd that it hasn’t been picked up as it’s a fairly substantial change.

Jane

J Membery
forum member

Revenues and Benefits Manager, Aylesbury Vale DC

Send message

Total Posts: 134

I suspect that it is just that so much else has happened in the world of Benefits and Council Tax at the same time.

I agree, in previous years this would have made a much bigger splash.

dereksi
forum member

Send message

Hi J Membery

Since you work for a LA can you confirm that these new rules apply to council tax discounts for family carers in your area? If so was there any circular or other guidance published to advertise these changes?

Thanks a lot. I need to be 100% that this is right before I updated all our council tax materials.

Derek

J Membery
forum member

Send message

Yes, we interpreted them in the same way that you do.

There was nothing (at least nothing that we noticed) to advertise these changes at all.

I, just out of habit, look at the list of Government legislation passed for Council Tax and HB once every few months and noticed these regulations.

Jeff

J Membery
forum member

Send message

I have now been contacted by a number of other LAs in light of this issue being raised on Rightsnet.
Many Councils are not aware of this change as it was not announced at all as far as anyone can tell.

It might be worth Rightsnet subscribers making certain their local LAs are aware of the change.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/jt201314/jtselect/jtstatin/5/510.htm

... Although these Regulations were finalised at the beginning of March they were not made then because of an administrative oversight. The Department will review its internal processes to ensure that such an oversight is not made in future.

dereksi
forum member

Send message

For the benefit of anyone from north of the border I should make clear that these changes do not appear to apply in Scotland. However they have been extended to Wales - see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2013/639/regulation/2/made