to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

temporary residence and non dependant deduction

ASH
forum member

Welfare officer - St Christopher's Hospice, SE London

Send message

Total Posts: 110

My client has a spare room.  He agreed to allow a friend of a friend to stay for a while while she looks for work.  She signed on at that address stating that was temporary stay until she got work and he also disclosed the same.  In response HB have made a non dependant deduction from the date she moved in ( mid March).  She is still looking for work 2 months later.  CPAG gives me CIS/14850/1996 and R(H) 8/09 as defining temp stays but I don’t have access to them.  Does anyone have these or anything else that may be helpful?

J Membery
forum member

Revenues and Benefits Manager, Aylesbury Vale DC

Send message

Total Posts: 134

I assume the non-dependant deduction is more than the increased HB resulting from the change in the number of occupiers?

If your client is in the Social Rented sector he would not have been subject to the bedroom tax two months ago, but could be now if no one lives with him.

ASH
forum member

Welfare officer - St Christopher's Hospice, SE London

Send message

Total Posts: 110

Thank you both. 

The client is over pension credit age so free of the lovely bedroom tax (especially good as he actually has 2 spare rooms).

And I forgot about google(duh) -thanks - it lead me right back to rightsnet.  CIS/14850/1996 seems to direct that she can be temp for as long as it take to establish habitual residence so I feel we can argue it for a while.