to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Monthly or 4 weekly

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/9961594/New-blow-to-Coalition-welfare-reform-as-Universal-Credit-scheme-delayed.html

Now, correct me if I’m wrong but would this not mean that UC payments would have to be 4 weekly as that’s all the existing system can work with? So, budgeting ethos out the window before we’ve even started?

Steve_h
forum member

Welfare Rights- AIW Health

Send message

Total Posts: 193

Well I feel a large dose of “I told you so” syndrome coming on.

Payments are intended to be calendar monthly because IDS & co think most people get paid wages calendar monthly.

However, millions still get their low wage weekly, at differing amounts, so how are they going to deal with that?

beggars belief

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Steve_h - 25 April 2013 12:26 PM

... However, millions still get their low wage weekly, at differing amounts, so how are they going to deal with that?

beggars belief

Well on my reading they’ll possibly cope a lot better with people paid weekly who will get UC 4 weekly than they will with people paid monthly but getting UC 4 weekly.

Given that the process is going to be clerical for the forseeable future/life of the coalition (delete according to your belief) it’s going to be fascinating to see the decision notices, miscalculations, reconsiderations etc. being made by a minimal number/no decision makers (delete according to your belief) using no decision makers guidance.

Not so much digital by default as default of the digital (sorry, couldn’t resist).

Advice NI
forum member

Head of policy - Advice NI

Send message

Total Posts: 51

A question on this folks:

The latest gov.uk edict on UC for the self-employed (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/404243/uc-and-self-employment.pdf) says that the Minimum Income Floor will (generally!) equal the national minimum wage, multiplied by a 35-hour working week.

My question is, given UC is/will be paid monthly, how do DWP calculate the Minimum Income Floor on a month-to-month basis? Some months have 4 working weeks in them, some have 4.5 et cetera et cetera . . .

Will the MIF change from month to month?
Or will it stay fixed, at: Minimum Wage x 35 hours per week x 52 (weeks) ÷ 12 (months)?

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3553

It’s converted to monthly - x52 and divided by 12 - see reg 62(2) of the UC regs

Advice NI
forum member

Head of policy - Advice NI

Send message

Total Posts: 51

Daphne - 15 May 2015 02:48 PM

It’s converted to monthly - x52 and divided by 12 - see reg 62(2) of the UC regs

Excellent Daphne, thank you!