Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

First PIP claim

< 1 2 3 4 5 > 

CNDRH
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 5

Just had a reply from a Gill Close Partnership manager for Essex DWP they ain’t budgin!
Basically if anyone make a call to request a paper claim, by default they are capable of completing a claim over the phone on behalf of the patient, whether they are deaf, dying or otherwise, it’s a catch 22. To make a claim you have to ring them, to request a paper claim you have to ring them, then they’ve got ya!

CNDRH
forum member

Send message

The problem with requesting a paper claim (assuming you actually ever receive one) is that the PIP claim does not start until the DWP receive the form back, with this in mind it may actually be quicker to see/talk to the client to get all the info to enable the claim to be made on the phone. As with DLA the client does not have to be present if it is a DS1500 case.[/quote]

I was led to believe that they would be date stamped and treated as being made from the date of issue :( that’s if they ever issue any paper claims.

Jane OP
forum member

The National Autistic Society, Welfare Rights, Nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 161

Has anyone managed to get a claim form sent out by writing in and requesting one?

I’ve been suggesting people use the Blackpool address - but have had no feedback yet on whether it works or not (Personal Independence Payment, PO Box 1303, Blackpool, FY1 9HF)

I was thinking of doing a template letter that people could use to request claim forms.

Jane

CNDRH
forum member

Send message

The problem with requesting a paper claim (assuming you actually ever receive one) is that the PIP claim does not start until the DWP receive the form back, with this in mind it may actually be quicker to see/talk to the client to get all the info to enable the claim to be made on the phone. As with DLA the client does not have to be present if it is a DS1500 case.[/quote]

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/pip-toolkit-factsheet-007-how-to-claim.pdf

Paper Claims
The claimant is given one month to return the paper claim form from the date the request was received. If received within one month, then the date of claim will be calculated from the date the form was issued

Where a claimant is unable to deal with DWP by telephone, or needs extra help and they have no one to support them making a claim by telephone they can request a paper claim form. This form will be unique to the claimant and cannot be used by anyone else
A paper claim form will also be issued to claimants who do not have a National Insurance Number.

ASH
forum member

Welfare officer - St Christopher's Hospice, SE London

Send message

Total Posts: 110

Jane OP - 02 July 2013 11:19 AM

Has anyone managed to get a claim form sent out by writing in and requesting one?

I’ve been suggesting people use the Blackpool address - but have had no feedback yet on whether it works or not (Personal Independence Payment, PO Box 1303, Blackpool, FY1 9HF)

I was thinking of doing a template letter that people could use to request claim forms.

Jane

I am considering a template letter too.  Has anyone got any feedback the success of the above yet and whether that address is the best?

Stevegale
forum member

Torbay Disability Information Service, Torbay NHS Care Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 342

We have been told that the DWP are planning to get PIP1 applications online around October (date TBC). This might alleviate some of the problems that a lot of people are having with a need for paper copies, although why there can’t be a bit of flexibility is baffling to me. So much for ‘stakeholders’.

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 471

I requested a paper claim form (PIP1) by letter using the P O Box 1303 address on 10 July. On 31 July I sent a second letter. The form arrived on Friday last week. There is no covering letter, it is in loose sheets, not stapled, and hand written across the top left hand corner is “TASK 232546 REFERS”. Apart from that it is a completely blank form with no personal details printed or written on it.

So it’s possible to get a claim form but I suspect the date of claim would be taken as the date it is returned, not the date they received the first letter.

CNDRH
forum member

Send message

Rosie W - 19 August 2013 08:55 AM

I requested a paper claim form (PIP1) by letter using the P O Box 1303 address on 10 July. On 31 July I sent a second letter. The form arrived on Friday last week. There is no covering letter, it is in loose sheets, not stapled, and hand written across the top left hand corner is “TASK 232546 REFERS”. Apart from that it is a completely blank form with no personal details printed or written on it.

So it’s possible to get a claim form but I suspect the date of claim would be taken as the date it is returned, not the date they received the first letter.

I would return when completed with a covering letter, including all copies of your correspondence. I had one backdated by the decision maker to the date I requested a paper claim.

DWP guidance
The claimant is given one month to return the paper claim form from the date the request was received. If received within one month, then the date of claim will be calculated from the date the form was issued.

Rosie W
forum member

Send message

CNDRH - 19 August 2013 09:08 AM

I would return when completed with a covering letter, including all copies of your correspondence. I had one backdated by the decision maker to the date I requested a paper claim.

DWP guidance
The claimant is given one month to return the paper claim form from the date the request was received. If received within one month, then the date of claim will be calculated from the date the form was issued.

If they take the month from when the form was first requested, it was already up by the time it was received..

paulmoorhouse
forum member

Central and South Sussex CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 96

The month can be extended , Regulation 12(1)(c) of the Universal Credit, Personal Independence Payment, Jobseeker’s Allowance and Employment and Support Allowance (Claims and Payments) Regulations 2013 specifies that the form should be returned ‘within one month or such longer period as the Secretary of State considers reasonable’ (see below).

I would have thought it was pretty obvious that where the form took longer than a month to be returned because of delays by the Departement the Secretary of state would be bound to consider this reasonable. However the SoS and I have been known to differ before! So I’m not sure I’d advocate playing russian roulette with IDS’s ‘reaonableness’ on behalf of clients (especially those claiming under special rules) but I would be pursuing cases where this has become an issue before advisers get involved with some vigour. 

12.—(1) Subject to paragraph (4), where a claim for personal independence payment is made in accordance with regulation 11 the date on which the claim is made is—

(a) in the case of a claim in writing made by means of an electronic communication in accordance with the provisions set out in Schedule 2, the date on which the claim is received at the appropriate office;

(b) in the case of a claim made by telephone, the date on which a claim made by telephone is properly completed; or

(c) where a person first notifies an intention to make a claim and provided that a claim made in writing produced other than by means of an electronic communication is properly completed and received at the appropriate office designated by the Secretary of State in that claimant’s case within one month or such longer period as the Secretary of State considers reasonable of the date of first notification, the date of first notification, or the first day in respect of which the claim is made if later than the above.”

Rosie W
forum member

Send message

As the form I received was not date stamped or personalised in any way and there was no covering letter, and the envelope is franked and has no date on it, I could have a problem proving the date it was sent!

This was by way of a test to see how easy, or otherwise, it is to get hold of a paper PIP1 by writing to request one and is unlikely to lead to an actual claim.

ASH
forum member

Welfare officer - St Christopher's Hospice, SE London

Send message

Total Posts: 110

Rosie W - 22 August 2013 08:56 AM

As the form I received was not date stamped or personalised in any way and there was no covering letter, and the envelope is franked and has no date on it, I could have a problem proving the date it was sent!

This was by way of a test to see how easy, or otherwise, it is to get hold of a paper PIP1 by writing to request one and is unlikely to lead to an actual claim.

Did that mean you did not need a NIno then?  Getting NInos is slowing down date of claim and I will be very pleased not to need them.

Rosie W
forum member

Send message

ASH - 28 August 2013 09:19 AM

Did that mean you did not need a NIno then?  Getting NInos is slowing down date of claim and I will be very pleased not to need them.

Hard to say. The first letter I sent just had a name and address and got no response. The second letter included a date of birth and a NINO. The form they sent was not “pre-populated” (as they say) with any of this information.

S Taylor
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Macmillan Caring Locally, Christchurch

Send message

Total Posts: 61

I regularly do PIP claims for people under special rules. To avoid any loss of benefit while I’m gathering all the info needed, I phone the PIP claim line with the persons name and date of birth to register their PIP claim, no NINO needed at this point. Once I have all the info including the NINO, usually after a home visit, I then phone back (needs to be within a month) to complete the claim. The claim is then processed from the date of my first call with no loss of benefit to the patient.

Rosie W
forum member

Send message

Any ideas on how long it’s taking to get a decision? A client who claimed in May waited 8 weeks to get a home visit for the assessment and has now waited another 4 weeks (to date) for a decision. His wife rang PIP today to be told they hadn’t received the assessment report yet and she “should ring Atos to find out what is happening”. And was told they have a “big backlog of paperwork"at PIP, which is impressive given it’s only been around for 5 months in pilot areas and a little less than 3 nationally.