Total Posts: 3135

See attachment.

File Attachments

Zoey Corker
forum member

Welfare Rights Unit - Leeds City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 6

I’ve just looked online - there doesn’t appear to be an option to claim online - nor does there seem to be an online downloadable form - unlike the DLA form.
Has anyone got a link for an online form that can be typed into and printed off?

Zoey Corker
forum member

Welfare Rights Unit - Leeds City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 6

I’ve just checked with the DLA helpline; apparently there won’t be any online options to claim PIP until Spring 2014 - so all claims must be made on paper forms.

David Holcombe
forum member

Chest, Heart and Stroke Welfare Rights Adviser, Citizens Advice and Rights Fife,

Send message

Total Posts: 26

Zoey Corker - 21 May 2013 08:37 AM

I’ve just looked online - there doesn’t appear to be an option to claim online - nor does there seem to be an online downloadable form - unlike the DLA form.
Has anyone got a link for an online form that can be typed into and printed off?

Paper forms must be issued by the DBC - they are scanned and tracked with a unique Q-code inside each centre, so no more downloadable forms.

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 471

Has anyone managed to persuade them to send out a paper claim form (PIP1) yet?

ASH
forum member

Welfare officer - St Christopher's Hospice, SE London

Send message

Total Posts: 110

slaw - 09 May 2013 04:31 PM

I’ve just tried to claim PIP for the first time for someone from Bury (Oldham postcodes not yet involved).  The claim is under special rules.  After 30 minutes in the queue I hung up!  I’ll try again tomorrow….if I’ve got the time!  The claim line is supposed to be open until 6pm but I might not try so late again.

We have an obvious interest in this as a special rules claim.  How did it go in the end?  How long did it take to get through so that you could make the claim.  Did they send a copy for you to check and sign or was the claim all sorted without a signature?

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

DWP have published some research on the experience of claiming PIP, not sure if this has been posted here before?
http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd5/report_abstracts/rr_abstracts/rra_837.asp

Some interesting views on: perceptions of the purpose of PIP; the best level of detail to provide on points/descriptors; appeals; DLA to PIP transition; and so on. A point raised about actually making the claim:

“a claim process of two stages was not logical for individuals and the amount of
information requested within this call was greater than anticipated: this led some to assume
that this phone call was the whole claim process. There was a need, therefore, to explain
more clearly the purpose of the initial call and why so many questions are asked. The need
to provide bank details at this stage was controversial and more credible reassurances were
needed.”

PhilH
forum member

Durham County Council, Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 11

ASH - 22 May 2013 02:56 PM
slaw - 09 May 2013 04:31 PM

I’ve just tried to claim PIP for the first time for someone from Bury (Oldham postcodes not yet involved).  The claim is under special rules.  After 30 minutes in the queue I hung up!  I’ll try again tomorrow….if I’ve got the time!  The claim line is supposed to be open until 6pm but I might not try so late again.

We have an obvious interest in this as a special rules claim.  How did it go in the end?  How long did it take to get through so that you could make the claim.  Did they send a copy for you to check and sign or was the claim all sorted without a signature?

We’ve been doing a large number of special rules claims. They take about 30 minutes on the phone, but some of our officers are doing them in around 20.

Claim sorted without signature - as long as we have consent and all the information required. We are asked to confirm that information is correct.

DS1500 is sent off afterwards but it’s vital to have NI number on it.

Obviously simpler where no mobility issues.  Overall we find its a quicker process than under DLA.

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

Has anyone seen a PIP2 form as yet? Is it exactly the same as the example version in the DWP toolkit?

splurge
forum member

Welfare officer - Peabody, London

Send message

Total Posts: 101

Having no luck in making a PIP claim. The phone lines are kept on hold with Vivaldi playing 30 minutes at a time and then being cut off.

Is this how the Government predicts a 20% drop in caseload?

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

I did my first one this morning.  I’ve just looked at the sample form online and I can’t remember any substantial differences.

CNDRH
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 5

I work with terminally ill patients only and when PIP was introduced, I phoned the department to discuss procedure for the terminally ill. Under DLA and AA when our department receives a DS1500 we phone and request a claim pack the same day. This allows me time to then contact the patient or family without the loss of benefits as claims are backdated to the date of issue.
It was agreed after speaking to a supervisor that a paper claim would be issued upon request. Unfortunately this didn’t work in practice

A Ds1500 received by our department on the 17/6/13 a phone call was made to register the claim and request a PP1 paper claim.
They are refused to send a paper claim (as previously agreed), we were advised that this is only in exceptional circumstances and someone dying doesn’t fit that! (My words)

In my absence Admin staff normally phone to register claims, they were given a reference number to call back at a later date when they had all the information.
I was able to contact and speak to the patient’s wife on the 25th gaining bank details etc.
After completing the form over the phone, I was informed that it would not be treated as having been made on the 17th, because not all the information was provided at that time. I then asked to speak to a supervisor who will be taking this forward and discussing with managers. I asked for feedback on this. I also asked that they consider this particular claim to be made from the early date otherwise this would be to the detriment of the terminal patient. She agreed to look at this and get back to me….
Unfortunately the patient died over the weekend

I have phoned again! If you listen carefully you will hear me grinding my teeth in frustration!
A paper claim will only be issued in exceptional circumstances, I was then taught to suck eggs at length! I only need to get bank details bla bla ..... try getting bank details of a family who’s caring for a dying person!
I am still awaiting a call back from the supervisor

jane200
forum member

welfare rights unit, inverclyde council, kempock place, gourock PA19 1QY

Send message

Total Posts: 4

This is ossibly more relevant than it first appears - I tried to make a telephone claim or get a paper claim form for JSA for a client .  I was told all claims had to be online then when I challenged this by referring to the DWP website info saying you could make a telephone claim i was told that that only applied to MAPPA claims.  (MAPPA refers to a system for monitoring offendsers and restruicting them in various ways - the example given to me was a paedophile not legally allowed access to the internet. 

Has anyone else been given similar info. - about PIP, JSA or whatever?

ASH
forum member

Welfare officer - St Christopher's Hospice, SE London

Send message

Total Posts: 110

We are having the same problem with an average of about 7 claims a week.  So far not one successful request for a paper claim.  We have pointed out the delicate nature of getting all relevant information from very sick people who are likely in severe shock over their diagnosis.  We have also pointed out that sometimes it takes a couple of weeks for the DS1500s to be issued even in clear cut cases. We are being told the matter is under review.  Someone else suggested this was a case of disability discrimination.

Altered Chaos
forum member

Operations & Advice Manager - Citizens Advice Taunton

Send message

Total Posts: 427

CNDRH - 01 July 2013 02:41 PM

I have phoned again! If you listen carefully you will hear me grinding my teeth in frustration!
A paper claim will only be issued in exceptional circumstances, I was then taught to suck eggs at length! I only need to get bank details bla bla ..... try getting bank details of a family who’s caring for a dying person!
I am still awaiting a call back from the supervisor

The problem with requesting a paper claim (assuming you actually ever receive one) is that the PIP claim does not start until the DWP receive the form back, with this in mind it may actually be quicker to see/talk to the client to get all the info to enable the claim to be made on the phone. As with DLA the client does not have to be present if it is a DS1500 case.