Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Initial claim process for PIP

Helen Robbins
forum member

Tourettes Action - Services

Send message

Total Posts: 1

Hi there

I am currently writing PIP application guidelines for service users of Tourettes Action - a charity supporting people with Tourette Syndrome.  I understand in the initial claim form that claimants will be asked if they have one of the following conditions:

mental health condition
behavioural condition
learning difficulty
developmental disorder
memory problem

Tourette Syndrome is a neurological condition - which has physical and behavioural implications - is anyone aware of why physical condition is not given as an option?

Many thanks

Stevegale
forum member

Torbay Disability Information Service, Torbay NHS Care Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 342

The questions on page 16 relate to mental capacity. I would hazard a guess that it’s designed to trigger further enquiries from the DWP about the claimant’s ability to understand what they are signing. Probably also designed to take into account Equality Act obligations too.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/pip1-claim-form.pdf

Jon Shaw
forum member

Welfare Rights Service, CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 98

The intention is that people with an identified mental or cognitive problem will not have their claims disallowed if they fail to return the assessment questionnaire.

I think that the paper form on the DWP website probably mirrors the script for telephone claims, and this question appears to be asked during the initial claim so additional support needs can be flagged on the system and prevent claims from being disallowed where the questionnaire is not returned.

See p52 of the draft PIP Assessment Guide: http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/pip-assessment-guide.pdf

Of course the Regs themselves say nothing about waiving the information requirement for particular groups, or a mental health problem being automatic ‘good reason’ for not providing information, so we’ll have to see how it works in practice…

Jon