Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

bedroom tax

1 2 > 

WB-room
forum member

ashfield cab, sutton in ashfield

Send message

Total Posts: 51

Governemnt to support advertising agencies and local press.
in a bid to boost this sector of the economy the DWP will be spending undisclosed amounts of money to publicise the little known ‘bedroom tax’.

[ Edited: 21 Mar 2013 at 04:08 pm by WB-room ]
benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Bedroom tax? Wossat? Never heard of it???

By the way : Dont let Cameron and his mob hear you call it “Bedroom Tax”. They get a bit miffed apparently as its the under occupancy thing. Makes ALL the difference!
Dont worry though, we never called the community charge the “Poll tax” either!

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Look!  If Cameron says it’s not a tax then it’s not a tax.  Gotit!

http://newsthump.com/2013/03/07/thousands-of-people-affected-by-bedroom-tax-unconcerned-about-definition-of-tax/

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2004

I was at a DWP session yesterday where all the slides said “Spare room subsidy”.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2909

I first heard the term “spare room subsidy” in PMQs two weeks ago, and now all DWP staff making any kind of official pronouncements have to use it, like an embarrassed football manager dutifully referring to the “Barclays Premier League” in a post-match interview.

The way they talk anyone would think that all these years there has been a provision in the HB regs headed “Spare Room Subsidy” and now it is being revoked

Ben E Fitz
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker, Manchester CAB Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 162

I note Mr Cameron has no problem with National Insurance employer’s contribution being referred to as a “jobs tax”, or with the target of 12% of claimants being assessed as having limited capability for work being called an “average”.

I could go on…....

Tom H
forum member

Newcastle Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 783

WB-room - 21 March 2013 12:53 PM

Governemnt to support advertising agencies and local press.
in a bid to boost this sector of the economy the DWP will be spending undisclosed amounts of money to publicise the little known ‘bedroom tax’.

Oh please let there be an old fashioned public information film on this.  Perhaps a camera panning across the rooftops with the caption “2007” appearing on the screen.  Children playing in the street, the sun is shining (even some of the roofs need repairing but there isn’t a roofer in sight).  Then the clouds darken, the caption “2013” and footage of Greek riots, foodbank queues, houses boarded up.  “What on earth has happened to cause this?” the viewer wonders.  Then the camera pans down from the clouds, Google earth-like, to street level.  Where are we?  Wait, we’re in a council estate. The camera moves to a tiny two bedroom house and looks through a window into a lonely looking room, no bed, no curtains, obviously not in use - a spare room.  It lingers there.  The End.

[ Edited: 21 Mar 2013 at 07:34 pm by Tom H ]
Stevegale
forum member

Torbay Disability Information Service, Torbay NHS Care Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 342

And the new council tax contributions (AKA post code lottery contributions) are now ‘council tax discounts’. Fits well with the striking out of the word ‘benefits’  from the ...er benefits system.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Well Labour started it-tax credits, the butchery of not only language but of political meaning

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2004

‘Benefits’ are in future going to be called ‘advantages’.

People receiving Jobseekers Advantages are clearly going to be helped more while those with Older Peoples Advantages are clearly going to benefit (cough) from this.

Of course, in a while, it will become clear that it’s not fair for some people to have more advantages so they’ll be removed.

Stevegale
forum member

Torbay Disability Information Service, Torbay NHS Care Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 342

Am I right in thinking that only Industrial Injuries Disablement benefit is the only ‘benefit’ left?

All the others are now ‘allowances’ (despite the NI contributory principle) apart from PIP which is a ‘payment’ - how did that escape the airbrushing?

Jac
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Melville Housing Association, Midlothian

Send message

Total Posts: 146

Mr Cameron has said that tax is something paid if you work. Obviously hasn’t heard of VAT.

J Membery
forum member

Revenues and Benefits Manager, Aylesbury Vale DC

Send message

Total Posts: 134

Presumably, people who don’t work will no longer have to pay Council Tax after the PMs announcement, as only working people pay Tax.

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

Just a thought- what would happen if the Housing associations de-registered as Social landlords and the tenants came under the LHA rules instead. I can think of 2 bed flats with a social landlord where the rent is about £75.-£85.00pw , if you take off the 14% then the HB payable would be about £65.00-75 .00pw. If the tenants were getting the LHA the amount payable for a one bed flat would be c.£103.00 pw

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Absolutely.

I have a case on my desk as I type. Current rent (full) is £449.50 per month (HB will be £386.57 per month from April onwards after 14% deduction). If client moved into 1 bedroom private rented property LHA would be £645.02 per month. Logical (not).

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

I think the issue might be whether there is anything to gain by the HA ‘s staying as Registered Social Landlords ( I don’t think that is the current term but i’m sure everyone knows what I mean).

I well remember a number of registered care homes de-registering in the early 2000’s to take advantage of the new ‘supporting people’ rules and I can’t help but wonder if current social landlords might do somthing similar.