Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DLA : hospital stays and HRM due to anorexia

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Just wondering for your thoughts on this :

I have a client who is seriously and dangerously underweight as she suffers from Anorexia.
She was awarded LRC and HRM 2 years ago and has had spells in and out of hospital.

Her renewal only gave LRC and i intend to appeal the loss of HRM.

When I did the renewal I was surprised she was getting HRM at all as she seemed to walk fine, however she has been told that due to weakness she is not allowed ANY exertion (as this will burn calories that she simply doesnt have, and be a danger to her health)
Does anyone have any success in appealing this kind of thing?

She is still under the care of her CPN and family support worker.

She was admitted to a local hospital last June for medical supervision to ensure she didnt continue to starve herself. Although technically hospitalised she went to college full time 4 days a week, and also visited the family home, although at night she had to stay overnight in hospital for supervision. They are now seeking to recover overpaid DLA for this period, although i have yet to see the decision letter.
I am going to appeal for higher care also, as i still think she needs constant supervision. She is addicted to Coca Cola, and a recent case on the news showed someone who died of a heart attack as all that caffeine weakened it. She also cheats and hides food.

As she only stayed there overnight I dont believe that her mobility and care needs were fully met by the state, as she was a full time student. I am not sure though to what extent this is relevant.

Thanks, as always in advance.

[ Edited: 4 Mar 2013 at 03:47 pm by benefitsadviser ]
Altered Chaos
forum member

Operations & Advice Manager - Citizens Advice Taunton

Send message

Total Posts: 427

In relation to your HRM query I have a couple of clients in receipt of DLA HRM on the basis of anorexia and/or bulimia, both have such low body weight that there are medical concerns that any exertion could cause heart problems (remember the Karen Carpenter story?).

You may find the attached case law CDLA/1528/2008 useful.

File Attachments

benefitsadviser
forum member

Send message

Thank you AC.

[ Edited: 11 Mar 2013 at 04:32 pm by benefitsadviser ]
benefitsadviser
forum member

Send message

The case was re-heard as the FTT made an error in law. Does anyone know the outcome, or more to the point what is the easiest way to find such outcomes. Any links to links, so to speak

SamW
forum member

Lambeth Every Pound Counts

Send message

Total Posts: 434

benefitsadviser - 11 March 2013 03:33 PM

The case was re-heard as the FTT made an error in law. Does anyone know the outcome, or more to the point what is the easiest way to find such outcomes. Any links to links, so to speak

As far as I am aware FTT decisions are not reported.

IMHO, the FTT outcome will not really get you anywhere. All it will show is how the law was applied to an individual set of facts entirely separate from those of your client.

What you need to do is to apply the law as explained in the above UT decision to your client’s own facts. The law is in fact pretty clear and set down in statute - a claimant will be entitled to HRM where a physical condition is such that the exertion required by walking would be a threat to their life or pose a risk of serious deterioation in their health. The confusion that the UT decision clears up is that if somebody has a mental condition that results in physical health problems, the physical health problems should be looked at in isolation and there should not be a question of whether they could be avoided eg. by maintaining enough calories.

My advice is that you need to clarify exactly what the medical advice is that she has received regarding walking. From your post it appears that she is being advised to avoid walking to try and avoid energy expenditure, calorific deficit and further weight loss. You’d either have to argue that this in itself would constitute a serious deterioration, or look for further evidence that her condition has led to complications (eg weak heart) that could put her at risk of sudden deteriorations or even death.

[Edit misread your post re care component]

[ Edited: 11 Mar 2013 at 05:46 pm by SamW ]
SamW
forum member

Lambeth Every Pound Counts

Send message

Total Posts: 434

I do actually have a query along similar lines if anyone has any input. Client’s situation in brief is that she has sickle cell disease. Client is normally fairly independent but suffers from crises that often lead to her requiring hospital treatment, although this treatment is never to the extent that she would not be entitled to DLA (28 days in one go or linked)?

Client’s crises are extremely debilitating and I’m considering whether she may be able to argue that when her care needs are ‘averaged out’ she has some entitlement to DLA. However, if somebody receives attention in hospital, is this attention ignored for the purposes of DLA?