Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Tribunal decisions for DLA where client has a renewal decision pending on current award

nza
forum member

Info and Advice Team, Disabilty Action in Islington, London

Send message

Total Posts: 2

I have had two clients who have both just been successful at tribunal in increasing their awards of DLA. In the first case, client’s current award before the tribunal was due to end on 14/03/13 and the renewal had been submitted and was pending. The tribunal set aside the previous decision and have made an indefinite award.

In the second case, the client’s current award before the tribunal was due to end on 09/05/13. The client hasn’t submitted her renewal form. The tribunal set aside the previous decision but have only made an award up to 09/05/13.

Both cases were supersession claims that went to tribunal.

I would be grateful if anyone could explain why in the second case they weren’t able to make an award for a longer period and why we will still have to submit a renewal claim.

Steve_h
forum member

Welfare Rights- AIW Health

Send message

Total Posts: 193

You could apply to request a statement of reasons which should explain why the award was limited, at the same time ask the award to be extended, giving an explanation as to why it should be the case

Brian JB
forum member

Advisor - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 472

As Steve says, you would need to have a statement of reasons from the second tribunal to have any idea why the new award was for a limited period. However, from a practical point of view, it is very unlikely that anything would happen before the renewal date to result in a changed decision and longer award, so I think the renewal form will have to go in to keep continuity of award (should it be successful)