Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

info on local social fund replacement schemes

1 2 3 > 

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3784

kicking off a thread where we can begin collecting details of local social fund replacement schemes as they get published / we come across them ...

here goes with somerset - see attached

File Attachments

WB-room
forum member

ashfield cab, sutton in ashfield

Send message

Total Posts: 51

Up here in Nottinghamshire the scheme has been contracted out to Northgate Information Systems, details to follow soon. [oddly Capita bought out a part of Northgate the week before the contract was given to them, but I don’t know yet if it is the same part of the Northgate group that is to deliever the Assistance Scheme ]

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

It is interesting to note that Somerset advice centre’s will be delivering the scheme and making decisions on behalf of the county. How will they remain ‘independent’ when they are in the position of being providers of ‘benefits’. How will they advise clients who want to challenge their decision?

Is this the first stage of CABx becoming a deliverer of benefits rather than independent advice agencies who can challenge decision makers? A slippery slope?

I note that the Hants scheme may have some degree of local agency involvement in the decison making process for the award of assistance. Here in Oxon the scheme will be delivered by a contractor.

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

At an event on social fund localisation in London organised by CPAG, London Funders and Association of Charitable Organisations, we heard from the approaches to the schemes in the boroughs of Lambeth and Islington. In the latter, they have made the local advice services referral agents for the scheme only, precisely to try and protect the perception of independence of CAB and others.

Altered Chaos
forum member

Operations & Advice Manager - Citizens Advice Taunton

Send message

Total Posts: 427

Peter Turville - 28 February 2013 02:04 PM

It is interesting to note that Somerset advice centre’s will be delivering the scheme and making decisions on behalf of the county. How will they remain ‘independent’ when they are in the position of being providers of ‘benefits’. How will they advise clients who want to challenge their decision?

Is this the first stage of CABx becoming a deliverer of benefits rather than independent advice agencies who can challenge decision makers? A slippery slope?

Hopefull I can reassure you that we will not be making any decisions regarding entitlement, this was a fundemental point that was made for precisely the reason you mention. We will continue to advise and assist when challenging decisions is required.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

CitA has said:

Bureaux should not be involved in the administration of awards – bureau have to be seen as impartial and independent. Both of these would be compromised, with a perception that the bureau is not independent of the local authority, or that bureau clients would receive better treatment when applying. Bureaux should also be careful about any involvement in “fast tracking” claimants to the local authority, claimants may perceive that the bureau has endorsed their application. How will they then advise those same claimants about any disputes about grants that they have administered?

I don’t think my bureau is going to be involved in the local assistance scheme, but I do already feel some similar conflicts to the ones that CitA is trying to avoid, by our involvement with a local food bank, and also with DHPs. That said, CitA is ok with bureaux employing Debt Relief Order intermediaries, which I would suggest is a similar role to the Somerset scheme, i.e. verifying whether an applicant qualifies on behalf of a government agency, and putting forward the application. CitA have made what I think is a modification to the normal role of DRO intermediary, in that they say an intermediary should not refuse to put forward a client’s application even where it appears that the client will not qualify. That appears to be the case in the Somerset scheme too.

alacal
forum member

Benefits and Charging Consultant, Surrey County Council, Surrey.

Send message

Total Posts: 15

Joe Collins
forum member

Wirral Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 20

The local welfare assistance schemes are likely to prove an enormous challenge to those who administer them, advisers and applicants. It will be interesting to see the different approaches taken.

Turning to the Somerset County Council scheme it is not clear to me what the decision making process is. On the one hand it is stated, “A key principle governing the proposed collaboration is that Somerset CC will retain ownership of the LAS and responsibility for decisions about eligibility and awards or their refusal.”

On the other hand it is stated, ” Each advice bureau will check eligibility of clients against the criteria…The outcome of this eligibility check will determine whether an award is made or not. In cases where eligibility is unclear or other factors complicate the process the advice bureau will refer to SCC for a decision.” Surely it follows that where eligibility is clear [either to award or not award] and there are no complicating factors, that the advice bureau makes the decision.

I make no comment on the desirability or otherwise of an advice bureau doing this I am simply seeking to understand the workings of the scheme. 

I think there is a strong possibility that the public perception will be that the advice bureau are responsible for the administration and delivery of the scheme. If an award is made it is stated that “Payment for essential items is facilitated via invoice to local advice bureau or voucher system.” The fact that each bureau will have a stock of award and decline letters will, I think, reinforce this impression, notwithstanding the use of Somerset CC headed paper.

Steve_h
forum member

Welfare Rights- AIW Health

Send message

Total Posts: 193

I agree with Joe.

But also throw into the mix is what happens when someone wants to challenge a decision?
Do they Challenge the CAB or SCC?

What happens in Judicial Review cases, which will happen in time? The CAB will be drawn in to the proceedings and thereby lay themselves open to expensive legal costs.

It is all going to get very interesting

Billy
forum member

Welfare rights - Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 66

Our LA has contracted out the SF. It is called The Back on Track Support Fund !! I went to a presentation yesterday which was worrying. The agency running the scheme are going to do credit checks on all applicants. I did raise my concerns as I thought maybe wrongly that everytime you get a credit check your credit rating goes down. Anybody have any thoughts about this ?

Cheers

Billy

Surrey Adviser
forum member

Benefits and debt adviser - Esher CAB, Surrey

Send message

Total Posts: 222

1.  My understanding is that the credit rating is only likely to be adversely affected if there are quite a lot of checks or applications in a short period of time.  Sometimes the checks (as opposed to applications) don’t appear on the report - eg HMRC checks in connection with tax credit issues never appear on the report when we get one subsequent to such a check.

2.  How are they intending to do the checks?  The CRAs cannot normally provide the information without the consent of the person whose record is being checked.  Unless they have a way of getting round that they will have to get the applicant’s written authority & fax or scan & e-mail it to the CRA, who will then have to check it before making the report available online.  This will take time.  Is this practical for urgent applications?

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

I can’t see anything published online, but looks North Yorkshire will be doing something like CCGs, but with awards made in kind, not cash. Food packs are included in the possible types of award, but the scheme does not intend to assist with crisis situations. Applications are normally done via an ‘authorised agent’ and may take 10 working days to assess.

Billy - 07 March 2013 11:03 AM

Our LA has contracted out the SF. It is called The Back on Track Support Fund !! I went to a presentation yesterday which was worrying. The agency running the scheme are going to do credit checks on all applicants. I did raise my concerns as I thought maybe wrongly that everytime you get a credit check your credit rating goes down. Anybody have any thoughts about this ?

The CRAs says that only applying for credit may affect your rating, other search types are not visible to future lenders. So, I guess it depends on whether the check is recorded as being done by the LA in its role as a lender (if they are indeed making loans), or if they are just doing some sort of ID check. Eg, if the LA’s search appears on the report as an “unrecorded enquiry” type then it should not affect credit scoring.

DoINotLikeThat
forum member

Warwickshire Welfare Rights Advice Service

Send message

Total Posts: 26

Billy - 07 March 2013 11:03 AM

Cheers

Billy

Did they explain why they are going to be carrying out credit reference agency checks in the first place; is it an anti-fraud measure, or to ascertain how dire someone’s financial circumstances are before deciding whether to make an award?

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

here’s details of somerset’s scheme (thanks to andyp) ...

File Attachments

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

and here’s info on dorset’s schemes ...

File Attachments

iut044
forum member

Welfare Benefits Adviser, West Lancs Disability Helpline, Skelmersdale

Send message

Total Posts: 206

Anyone know what is happening in West Lancashire?